Gibson Brands Forums

Roman Polanski - WTF?

NeoConMan

How can you possibly link those two groups as "entitled"?

The 'rich' aren't entitled to the fruits of their labor?

I'll agree that the sense of entitlement is nauseating.

Stretching to include the few that enable the medicaid/medicare freeloader blessing is foolish.

And what, exactly, constitutes rich?

I'm curious if I fit that profile myself, and how much guilt I should feel for it.

Sounds alot like class/status envy and a little jealousy.

Kinda like being pissed your little brother gets a birthday present and you don't - because it's not your birthday.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How can you possibly link those two groups as "entitled"?

The 'rich' aren't entitled to the fruits of their labor?

I'll agree that the sense of entitlement is nauseating.

Stretching to include the few that enable their blessing is foolish.

And what' date=' exactly, constitutes rich?

I'm curious if I fit that profile myself, and how much guilt I should feel for it.

Sounds alot like class/status envy and a little jealousy.

Kinda like being pissed your little brother gets a birthday present and you don't - because it's not [i']your [/i]birthday.

i see how you drew that conclusion, but negative. my salary puts me into a tax bracket i am not thrilled to be in. in my line of work, i deal with rich and poor. the sense of entitlement is nauseating. being rich doesnt make you better than someone else.

the more interesting thing however, is that the original question was "why do americans call people with different opinions bad names?" has been completely ignored. i offered a solution and instead was attacked. to a certain degree, this kinda proves my point. we can see no wrong in ourselves, its the rest of the world who is wrong.

and neo, i do not think you come across as having a sense of entitlement.

What would you do to someone who gave your 13 year old daughter Quaaludes and wine then sodomized her?

In her testimony she stated that she begged him to stop, he refused.

The charges were read in court, she testified, he admitted his guilt. This is no longer between him and her.

If you forgive him now because of his creativity, or because he is famous, then you have no grounds to be outraged when this happens to someone you love.

End of story. The law is the law.

And by the way, if Jimmy Page gave my daughter Quaaludes and sodomized her Mr. Page would not have to worry about what the law would do to him.

I fail to see your point.

have you ever been to europe? (and for the record, i am not trying to be a jerk or condescending. really, i'm not)

when i was in europe, you could instantly identify an American tourist by

1) the size of our waistlines

2) how freaking snobby/rude/arrogant we act toward any differences between our culture and another country's.

What would you do to someone who gave your 13 year old daughter Quaaludes and wine then sodomized her?

In her testimony she stated that she begged him to stop' date=' he refused.

The charges were read in court, she testified, he admitted his guilt. This is no longer between him and her.

[b']If you forgive him now because of his creativity, or because he is famous, then you have no grounds to be outraged when this happens to someone you love. [/b]

End of story. The law is the law.

And by the way, if Jimmy Page gave my daughter Quaaludes and sodomized her Mr. Page would not have to worry about what the law would do to him.

a big +1 +:-@

sear wanted to know why Americans use name-calling relative to those we disagree with; he says this is not the case in his country.

i half-jokingly suggested that this is because we have a superior complex (arrogance) so great, that we even feel the need to be superior to one another, not just other countries/cultures.

Extradite him to the US and make him serve his time.

He needs to serve his time.

That's only fitting.

but but but....

he's had to live with this for the last 30 years....

its like he's been in prison.....in france, making movies....

i hope he rots.

have you ever been to europe?

Yes.

Been in several countries' date=' lived in Okinawa 3 years as well.

I've worked with dozens of foreigners, and dated a few.

My stepmother is Japanese.

2) how freaking snobby/rude/arrogant we act toward any differences between our culture and another country's.

Don't forget white athletic shoes - seriously.

When I'm in a foreign country, I'm constantly apologizing for being unaware of the subtle customs and repeating my desire to NOT be viewed as an Ugly American. I met with no more condescension or inattention than I do here in the USA.

have you ever been to europe? (and for the record' date=' i am not trying to be a jerk or condescending. really, i'm not)

[/quote']

Not to pick a scab here, but isn't it Polanski who is being arrogant/snobby/rude in this case? He has made a mockery of our laws and our court. It is he who is thumbing his nose at us and made a dam good living while doing it.

The irony is that if he had just served his time 40 years ago he it would have been all over in 45 day's!

Yes.

Been in several countries' date=' lived in Okinawa 3 years as well.

I've worked with dozens of foreigners, and dated a few.

My stepmother is Japanese.

Don't forget white athletic shoes - seriously.

When I'm in a foreign country, I'm constantly apologizing for being unaware of the subtle customs and repeating my desire to NOT be viewed as an Ugly American. I met with no more condescension or inattention than I do here in the USA.[/quote']

thats really cool neo. how is japan? thats on my bucket list....and with my new found love of sushi.....

Not to pick a scab here' date=' but isn't it Polanski who is being arrogant/snobby/rude in this case? He has made a mockery of our laws and our court. It is he who is thumbing his nose at us and made a dam good living while doing it.

The irony is that if he had just served his time 40 years ago he it would have been all over in 45 day's! [/quote']

yes, but he is actually unrelated to what i am talking about. read Sear's post....there are multiple conversations going on at this point. lol

I think at least half the problem with Americans traveling abroad is the citizens of the country their in. Many people are bigoted against us just because we are Americans.

I won't apologize for being an American. That is just a fact. If I am hated because of where I am born.... So be it. Lot of that going around and yet it is never mentioned. It is always the "Ugly American" story.

What about Americans being robbed or mugged and treated with disrespect.

france has spoken out on behalf of Polanski demanding his release. I wonder if I victimized a 13 year old french Girl just how fast they would jail me...Or worse.

I showed em though....I don't travel:-"

if you are referring to the french, i didnt think they really were that rude....only in paris, and only if you refuse to attempt french. i mangled their language, but everyone seemed happy to help me in english after i tried francais.

one guy told me he doesnt hate americans, he's just tired of tourists insisting that everyone speak english when they are in france. makes sense to me. i realize this is hardly a good sample size or statistically significant. ymmv.

outside of paris, most people just spoke english right off the bat.

Not to pick a scab here' date=' but isn't it Polanski who is being arrogant/snobby/rude in this case? He has made a mockery of our laws and our court. It is he who is thumbing his nose at us and made a dam good living while doing it.

The irony is that if he had just served his time 40 years ago he it would have been all over in 45 day's! [/quote']

Very well said Jaxson50 I see you understand very well

CW

if you are referring to the french' date=' i didnt think they really were that rude....only in paris, and only if you refuse to attempt french. i mangled their language, but everyone seemed happy to help me in english after i tried francais.

one guy told me he doesnt hate americans, he's just tired of tourists insisting that everyone speak english when they are in france. makes sense to me. i realize this is hardly a good sample size or statistically significant. ymmv.

outside of paris, most people just spoke english right off the bat.[/quote']

Ah ha!!

I agree with your remarks about speaking the language of the country your in.

So why do all of our legal documents.....Voice mail....have to be infested with Spanish.

I say, if you can't speak english.....Why should you be allowed welfare or drivers licenses..etc etc etc?

It's the same thing!!

Ah ha!!

I agree with your remarks about speaking the language of the country your in.

So why do all of our legal documents.....Voice mail....have to be infested with Spanish.

I say' date=' if you can't speak english.....Why should you be allowed welfare or drivers licenses..etc etc etc?

It's the same thing!! [/quote']

no argument from me.

anyhoo, i really wasnt trying to start a fight with anyone or badmouth my country or my fellow citizens...honestly i wasnt.

but i would interested for the sake of discussion, to explore/debate why we resort to name-calling the opposition

ie right wing nazi, libtard, gun nuts, etc, etc.

perhaps a new thread is in order, so we can go back to celebrating polanski's extradition.:D/

Archived