Gibson Brands Forums

Use of Tube Amps......

danb

I've been searching around the web checking out different tube amps because thats gonna be my next gear purchase. I've visited different forums, read reviews, and watched YouTube demo's. One thing I've noticed through all my searching is that a lot of the reviews, videos, and posts are from people who play hard metal-death metal and similar forms of music. Nothing wrong with that as I listen to and play a wide variety of music.

It seems pretty standard from reading threads and listening to demo's that almost everyone cranks the bass and treble, zero's (scoops) the midrange and dimes the gain. Then there is usually a pedal or two thrown in there and sometimes even a digital processor.

The thing that confuses me is this....

I thought guitarists play vacuum tube amps because of the full rich tone they produce that is unmatched by a solid state amp. To get all this great tone you trade off the luxury of the zero maintenance SS amp for one that you have to eventually perform maintenance on (replace tubes) and tend to have to treat a little better(if that makes sense)

Why would people who play this style still pay the extra for the tube amp since to me scooping all the mid range out is basically doing away with a lot of the amps tone...which is the reason for getting one in the first place?? Then add a digital processor or pedal in there and further disrupt the analog tube tone. It seems like the SS amp would be the better choice for these players in the first place....cheaper and more reliable and already has a good start toward the type of sound they're trying to get.

Like I said i'm not knocking the type of music at all..just wondering why somebody playing strictly that style would even want a tube type amp?? Do they still sound that much better even with the settings like that? I know that tube amps are supposedly better at "not getting lost in the mix" but heck I've had SS amps that had to be kept below half volume as to not override the drums.

I play a variety so i'm looking for that buttery clean tone that can be pushed to break up depending on how hard I pick or how my guitar volume is adjusted. Then at times have some killer crunch to drive a good rock or metal song. I can get some pretty wicked metal tones out of my current SS amp via the help of some pedals.

Well............Just wondering

I've been searching around the web checking out different tube amps because thats gonna be my next gear purchase. I've visited different forums' date=' read reviews, and watched YouTube demo's. One thing I've noticed through all my searching is that a lot of the reviews, videos, and posts are from people who play hard metal-death metal and similar forms of music. Nothing wrong with that as I listen to and play a wide variety of music.

It seems pretty standard from reading threads and listening to demo's that almost everyone cranks the bass and treble, zero's (scoops) the midrange and dimes the gain. Then there is usually a pedal or two thrown in there and sometimes even a digital processor.

I thought guitarists play vacuum tube amps because of the full rich tone they produce that is unmatched by a solid state amp. To get all this great tone you trade off the luxury of the zero maintenance SS amp for one that you have to eventually perform maintenance on (replace tubes) and tend to have to treat a little better(if that makes sense)

Why would people who play this style still pay the extra for the tube amp since to me scooping all the mid range out is basically doing away with a lot of the amps tone...which is the reason for getting one in the first place?? Then add a digital processor or pedal in there and further disrupt the analog tube tone. It seems like the SS amp would be the better choice for these players in the first place....cheaper and more reliable and already has a good start toward the type of sound they're trying to get.

Like I said i'm not knocking the type of music at all..just wondering why somebody playing strictly that style would even want a tube type amp?? Do they still sound that much better even with the settings like that? I know that tube amps are supposedly better at "not getting lost in the mix" but heck I've had SS amps that had to be kept below half volume as to not override the drums.

I play a variety so i'm looking for that buttery clean tone that can be pushed to break up depending on how hard I pick or how my guitar volume is adjusted. Then at times have some killer crunch to drive a good rock or metal song. I can get some pretty wicked metal tones out of my current SS amp via the help of some pedals.

Well............Just wondering [/quote']

Ugh...god dammint i swear these metalheads today are just ****ing stupid...crank up bass and treble? Really? God ,metal is dead...

Check out those Vintage Peavey Bandit Solid State amps. They are the bomb, but they are getting very expensive on ebay, because of their awesome tone. I've seen them go for hundreds of dollars.....

Best of luck.....

Murph.

I'm gettin a tube style amp for my playing styles...already got a SS.....just wondering why a lot of these guys buy a tube amp, dial out the midrange drive the s**t out of the gain to distort it all to h**l and back put digital pedals in front of it when they could of got that sound from a SS to begin with

I'm gettin a tube style amp for my playing styles...already got a SS.....just wondering why a lot of these guys buy a tube amp' date=' dial out the midrange drive the s**t out of the gain to distort it all to h**l and back put digital pedals in front of it when they could of got that sound from a SS to begin with [/quote']

Called stupid....there's many of them on this planet.

I don't scoop my mids, but I do run Distortion Pedals to the clean channel of my tube amps.

I has great tone that SS won't do. I heard similar arguments before. They just don't take into account that there are power tubes as well as Pre-amp tubes. I rarely use the pre's for distortion. But the power is still tube. I own a Fender Twin Reverb that won't distort to save my life, but it still has kick-*** tube tone.

Called stupid....there's many of them on this planet.

I guess........I don't know....I kinda thought that but ....sure are a lot of players (or posing as players) in these other forums.just had to ask maybe they know something I don't?

Tube amps are for idiots.

Another thing......

Building tubes is very "anti-green" and harms the Planet...... Think about it.

Guitar players should all stick together to save the Planet, and reject tube amps........

:-s

Tube amps are for idiots.

Another thing......

Building tubes is very "anti-green" and harms the Planet...... Think about it.

Guitar players should all stick together to save the Planet' date=' and reject tube amps........

:-s [/quote']

You may be on to something there Murph..........while we're at it we all need to boycott the use of wood to produce guitars and fund research to find and equally good "eviro" friendly material to use to help preserve our forests

Posers...im telling you!

dem00n knows.

Those damned tube amps are nothing but trouble, they run hot and are doomed to fail every few decades........

You should stay away from them if you are serious about your tone........

And reliability.........

I've been searching around the web checking out different tube amps because thats gonna be my next gear purchase. I've visited different forums' date=' read reviews, and watched YouTube demo's. One thing I've noticed through all my searching is that a lot of the reviews, videos, and posts are from people who play hard metal-death metal and similar forms of music. Nothing wrong with that as I listen to and play a wide variety of music.

Well............Just wondering [/quote']

I just wanted to quote you so I could be like dem00n.

dem00n knows.

Those damned tube amps are nothing but trouble' date=' they run hot and are doomed to fail every few decades........

You should stay away from them if you are serious about your tone........

And reliability.........

[/quote']

LOL ... whatever Murph ...

I think the stress of the New Madrid is getting to you.

LOL ... whatever Murph ...

I think the stress of the New Madrid is getting to you.

I'm raggin' the SS idiots........

Follow me here......

<<<<--------------------------

All Tube, All The Time.........

Murph.

I'm raggin' the SS idiots........

Follow me here......

<<<<--------------------------

All Tube' date=' All The Time.........

Murph.

[/quote']

He's right, i tell kids that i know wont go anywhere and will give up in like 2 months to buy SS, i use them as tests to see if they auctal get anything good in the SS world.

It seems my initial question is taken out of context judging by the level of sarcasm in a couple of the replies. I never questioned the quality of sound produced by a tube amp vs SS as they are obviously superior in tone. My question was why would some of these guys dial the mid tone out, max out the gain, and cloud it with effects. Seems like thats defeating the reason of having a tube amp to begin with. I wondered if they were doing that, why they couldn't just use a SS amp?

Laney gave a legitimate answer but as he said he doesn't dial out the mids, and uses a distortion pedal but doesn't defeat the overall tone quality of his amps....and that makes sense

Sorry if my initial question was unclear....

It seems my initial question is taken out of context judging by the level of sarcasm in a couple of the replies. I never questioned the quality of sound produced by a tube amp vs SS as they are obviously superior in tone. My question was why would some of these guys dial the mid tone out' date=' max out the gain, and cloud it with effects. Seems like thats defeating the reason of having a tube amp to begin with. I wondered if they were doing that, why they couldn't just use a SS amp?

Laney gave a legitimate answer but as he said he doesn't dial out the mids, and uses a distortion pedal but doesn't defeat the overall tone quality of his amps....and that makes sense

Sorry if my initial question was unclear.... [/quote']

No its was its just that murph liks to fool around and stuff.

No its was its just that murph liks to fool around and stuff.

There ya go...... I was "this" close to sending you my old '91 Tele to clean up/set up, and mess with for a few months....

Then ya "dissed" me.....

Archived