Gibson Brands Forums

Use of Tube Amps......

danb

I've been searching around the web checking out different tube amps because thats gonna be my next gear purchase. I've visited different forums' date=' read reviews, and watched YouTube demo's. One thing I've noticed through all my searching is that a lot of the reviews, videos, and posts are from people who play hard metal-death metal and similar forms of music. Nothing wrong with that as I listen to and play a wide variety of music.

It seems pretty standard from reading threads and listening to demo's that almost everyone cranks the bass and treble, zero's (scoops) the midrange and dimes the gain. Then there is usually a pedal or two thrown in there and sometimes even a digital processor.

The thing that confuses me is this....

I thought guitarists play vacuum tube amps because of the full rich tone they produce that is unmatched by a solid state amp. To get all this great tone you trade off the luxury of the zero maintenance SS amp for one that you have to eventually perform maintenance on (replace tubes) and tend to have to treat a little better(if that makes sense)

Why would people who play this style still pay the extra for the tube amp since to me scooping all the mid range out is basically doing away with a lot of the amps tone...which is the reason for getting one in the first place?? Then add a digital processor or pedal in there and further disrupt the analog tube tone. It seems like the SS amp would be the better choice for these players in the first place....cheaper and more reliable and already has a good start toward the type of sound they're trying to get.

Like I said i'm not knocking the type of music at all..just wondering why somebody playing strictly that style would even want a tube type amp?? Do they still sound that much better even with the settings like that? I know that tube amps are supposedly better at "not getting lost in the mix" but heck I've had SS amps that had to be kept below half volume as to not override the drums.

I play a variety so i'm looking for that buttery clean tone that can be pushed to break up depending on how hard I pick or how my guitar volume is adjusted. Then at times have some killer crunch to drive a good rock or metal song. I can get some pretty wicked metal tones out of my current SS amp via the help of some pedals.

Well............Just wondering [/quote']

I quoted you so your insightful post and valid questions would be reprinted on the second page of the thread.

Too bad I couldn't immediately repeat it under your initial post.

Wait....

I got an idea.

Here it is again, in it's entirety in honor of Dem00n.

:D/

I've been searching around the web checking out different tube amps because thats gonna be my next gear purchase. I've visited different forums' date=' read reviews, and watched YouTube demo's. One thing I've noticed through all my searching is that a lot of the reviews, videos, and posts are from people who play hard metal-death metal and similar forms of music. Nothing wrong with that as I listen to and play a wide variety of music.

It seems pretty standard from reading threads and listening to demo's that almost everyone cranks the bass and treble, zero's (scoops) the midrange and dimes the gain. Then there is usually a pedal or two thrown in there and sometimes even a digital processor.

The thing that confuses me is this....

I thought guitarists play vacuum tube amps because of the full rich tone they produce that is unmatched by a solid state amp. To get all this great tone you trade off the luxury of the zero maintenance SS amp for one that you have to eventually perform maintenance on (replace tubes) and tend to have to treat a little better(if that makes sense)

Why would people who play this style still pay the extra for the tube amp since to me scooping all the mid range out is basically doing away with a lot of the amps tone...which is the reason for getting one in the first place?? Then add a digital processor or pedal in there and further disrupt the analog tube tone. It seems like the SS amp would be the better choice for these players in the first place....cheaper and more reliable and already has a good start toward the type of sound they're trying to get.

Like I said i'm not knocking the type of music at all..just wondering why somebody playing strictly that style would even want a tube type amp?? Do they still sound that much better even with the settings like that? I know that tube amps are supposedly better at "not getting lost in the mix" but heck I've had SS amps that had to be kept below half volume as to not override the drums.

I play a variety so i'm looking for that buttery clean tone that can be pushed to break up depending on how hard I pick or how my guitar volume is adjusted. Then at times have some killer crunch to drive a good rock or metal song. I can get some pretty wicked metal tones out of my current SS amp via the help of some pedals.

Well............Just wondering [/quote']

Most guys I know that "scoop the mids" are usually after a very bland, mild, modern rock tone that is really... just bad tone. The best tube amps I've ever heard I usually add a bit of bass, mid in the middle, and get rid of some of the treble. I also agree with some that effects dont usually defeat the tube amp sound... and there are certain great pedals (Ibanez TUBE SCREAMER!) that really boost tone of tube amps and even add to their boutique tone

So the reason why people buy them, they are posers and just want to be cool and were told as they took lessons that they get the best tone out of tube amps... so they spend a ton of money on the big tubes amps just to leave the volume at 1 and mid at 0, just to feel like they got the awesome half stack everyone wants...

Some people like the sound of scooped mids...some people don't...From my perspective, it seems strange to load up the front of a tube amp with digital effects...but you could argue that even with digital effects in the front of the chain, you can still get the nice harmonics out of the overdriven power tubes...I use two moderately powered tube amps (Marshall JTM30 and Mesa Blue Angel) and I use an overdrive pedal (Ibanez TS9) in front of them when I want dirt and can't crank the amps up.

It's a crazy world out there and there are no rules for tone...it's all subjective.

My .02

Okay, seriously Dan...

We're on the exact same wave length.

What size amp are you thinking?

Mesa makes some incredible stuff but it's super pricey due to all the complexity.

Hard to find a good, simple, durable tube amp these days.

I like the Fender Hot Rod DeVille 4x10 myself.

Too many variables....

instead of a combo i'm really looking for a head(aren't we all) cause I've already got a decent 4-12 cab. I pretty much don't professionally play for a living but about once or twice a month I fill in on guitar in a friend of mines band (their guitar player goes on binges where he's a smokin ROCK star without a guitar if you know what I mean) I could get the job full time if I wanted it...just can't do it right now.

I've really dig the tone of those orange amps but aside from the tiny terror, their outa my price range. I've also took interest in the Marshall Haze head it sounds pretty good to me and is affordable.

I'm still open for options that's why I've been trolling around reading up and listening to demo's and such. Learned a lot but have mostly learned that there are tons of idiots/posers posting some of these reviews at different places so you have to take what ya read with a grain of salt.

Okay' date=' seriously Dan...

We're on the exact same wave length.

What size amp are you thinking?

Mesa makes some incredible stuff but it's super pricey due to all the complexity.

Hard to find a good, simple, durable tube amp these days.

I like the Fender Hot Rod DeVille 4x10 myself.

Too many variables....[/quote']

Mesa amps are built in America.

Fender amps are mostly made in Mexico.

Consider this, if it matters to you.......

If you don't care, I don't care........

Just sayin'.....

Mesa built a simple head I like, F-100 or something like that.

Marshall JCM 900's are a steal in the used market right now, and a damned good head without vintage $$$$$.

I dunno, look at the old Fender heads like the Bassman.

May be a little pricey though.

I can get all those tones you're looking for without pedals with my tube amp,

but on others , a pedal is most likely needed , especially for the OD/Distortion.

Your best bet is to go out and try different amps with your guitar

and let your ears decide. (and your wallet )

Fender , Vox , Peavey, Traynor all make very good, relatively inexpensive tube amps

and combos.

I think for higher than high metal like black metal (where you cannot make out a single note) solid state amps are the way to go, they'll give a smooth noise/sound that will sound just right for that style.

For most other stuff a tube amp will sound better.

BUT, in the end it all comes down to what you like, there are guys that use and prefer tube amps as there are guys that use solid state amps and prefer them regardless of the price (yes, for those of you that havent read the news there are very expensive and even boutique solid state amps; and of course there are lots of cheap tube amps that sound like ***).

I think the initial statement is just too much of a blanket commentary.

SS amplifiers are not interactive, you get what you play, tube amps respond to you playing even if you have the distortion maxed out or you have a pedal infront of it.

Mesa rules by the way...

DSCN1540.jpg

http://www.ceriatone.com/

For the tone you described that your looking for...I'd be looking for a tube recitfied Fender style amp. Or a used Boogie Blue Angel' date=' or a Boogie Lone Star/Special or Express...

[/quote']

They don't get it......

They need a Chinese Vox Solid State Amp.

If they don't hear it, we can't explain it to em'......

Just sayin'......

They, honest to God, don't hear it........

By the way... the guitar is a "mids" instrument (sorry I dont remember the right expression in english right now) so by scooping the mids you take away all the presence the instrument can have on a band situation/mix/enviroment.

Boost the highs all you want, cymbals will come through and no one will hear you.

Boost the low end all you want, your puny 100 watt full stack wont be a match for your bassman playing through a 400W stack with a 18inch speaker and a 4x10 on top of it; AND in the propper frequency.

If you wanna be heard, you have to use mid freqs.

As someone mentioned above, people buying tube amps to play super distorted heavy stuff are on the most part posers or guys that dont know better. There are expections of course.

Archived