Gibson Brands Forums

A real nut job

djroge1

Here's the deal ~ a family in our church had their house catch on fire and their son has one of these Esteban acoustic guitars that they got him for Christmas. They asked me to clean it up and is still playable. Most of the damage is from smoke and some soot. I'm getting it cleaned up ok.

Here is the problem, I've noticed that the plastic nut may have melted a little bit. I believe it can be repaired although I'll have to check and make sure the neck is not warped either and see if it has a truss rod.

I've never changed a guitar nut before and I'm not sure of the process so do any of you know the steps and/or know of any youtube video's showing how it is done? Also what tools, glue etc... will I need?

Ultimately, I'll tell the family that I've never done this type of repair and give them the option of having someone experienced do it (and paying for it) or let me try and do it for free.

And you thought this thread was going to be about other gibby forum members...

Here's the deal ~ a family in our church had their house catch on fire and their son has one of these Esteban acoustic guitars that they got him for Christmas. They asked me to clean it up and is still playable. Most of the damage is from smoke and some soot. I'm getting it cleaned up ok.

Here is the problem' date=' I've noticed that the plastic nut may have melted a little bit. I believe it can be repaired although I'll have to check and make sure the neck is not warped either and see if it has a truss rod.

I've never changed a guitar nut before and I'm not sure of the process so do any of you know the steps and/or know of any youtube video's showing how it is done? Also what tools, glue etc... will I need?

Ultimately, I'll tell the family that I've never done this type of repair and give them the option of having someone experienced do it (and paying for it) or let me try and do it for free.

And you thought this thread was going to be about other gibby forum members...[/quote']

I've got a segment of bone (an uncut bridge piece) that I will happily donate if that will help...

Let me know through PM or otherwise.

Take care.

Dave

Did I mention this was for a 10 or 11 year old boy who is just starting out? It doesn't matter how much worse or better it can be. I want to keep him interested in playing so he'll want to play for life ~ hobby or profession.

Archived