Gibson Brands Forums

Poor QC

Tim Plains

OK, this isn't a slam against Gibson's quality control but I just thought I'd post it.

Keep in mind that Gibson probably pumps out over 100,000 guitars annually and the odds of each & every one of them being perfect is zero.

A very good reason to always try before you buy...

Some of you may have seem that thread of the two Firebird's I had for the weekend. Well, turns out I'm not buying either of them. Why? Poor QC. The one had a couple dead spots in the same area of the neck. I looked down the neck and, from the body, it's fairly straight until around the 4th fret. Then, there's a slight kink, sort of reminds me of a hockey stick. Needless to say, I'm not buying a guitar with a twisted neck. Acoustically, the second Firebird has an unpleasant hum on a few frets. A few of the frets are also far enough away from the rosewood that I can stick the corner of a piece of paper underneath the fret. Coincidentally, they're probably what's causing that hum.

Now, these sorts of things shouldn't happen on a guitar that's close to $2,000 but they do. Again, a very good reason to try before you buy.

OK' date=' this isn't a slam against Gibson's quality control [/quote']

Yes it is. And it seems to be well deserved in the case of these two instruments.

Again' date=' a very good reason to try before you buy. [/quote']

That's the bottom line. Good that you spotted the problems. Of course, you know there is a perfect Firebird out there waiting for you, right? =P~

Yes it is. And it seems to be well deserved in the case of these two instruments.

Yes' date=' but it's only two. Just bad luck on my part.

Of course' date=' you know there is a perfect Firebird out there waiting for you, right? =P~ [/quote']

I hope so. I want one really bad. I already emailed my guy and explained why I won't be buying one of these two. I asked him to see if there are anymore available, maybe even a historic (fingers crossed!!). I'll be returning these Birds tomorrow after work; so, we'll discuss it then. If he can't (or won't) get another FB. :-k

Archived