Gibson Brands Forums

Combo or Stack?

Andre S

The main difference is with a combo you get the whole pack in one unit, everything inside the same cabinet. With a stack you get a head which has the preamp and power amp sections, while the speakers are in a different cabinet.

Both have pros and cons. Both are great.

By the way, the difference between them depends on the number of speakers, if the combo and the stack/half stack/quarter stack(?) have the same number of speakers then the difference in tone/sound will be dictated by the size of the cabinet and the way it opens (or doesnt) in the back.

Usually combos come in 1 or 2 speaker configurations, there are some 4 and even 8 speaker combos tho, but they are rare.

Speaker cabinets usually come with 2 or 4 speakers.

By the way' date=' the difference between them depends on the number of speakers, if the combo and the stack/half stack/quarter stack(?) have the same number of speakers then the difference in tone/sound will be dictated by the size of the cabinet and the way it opens (or doesnt) in the back.

Usually combos come in 1 or 2 speaker configurations, there are some 4 and even 8 speaker combos tho, but they are rare.

Speaker cabinets usually come with 2 or 4 speakers.[/quote']

Hmm, I was also referring to the Vox AC4 half stack.

But I also read somewhere that one has more bass or something so?

I thought a stack was two cabinets and a head?....A half stack was ONE cabinet and one head.

A combo is a "combination" of speaker and amplifier all in one package.

Fixed it for you.

An amp is only called a 'head' if it's stand alone.

Nothing. Except one sounds way better than the other because you fell for the hype.

Your friend' date='

Guitar Center's #1 saleswoman,

Have a great day.[/quote']

Ok, but what if there are no GuitarCenter's in my country?

I admit there are stores, that are just as full with **** as guitarcenter, but that's the reason for my many posts and threads here about different amps in the same day. As I come across them, this is the most reliable source to check them out.

A couple of weeks ago I posted about the Super Champ XD. I am still considering, it but I have moved along to an AC4tv ( it costs less to bring it in with the distributors, who are in my country, yay!). Unfortunately they don't bring in Fender amps......I really want a fender amp, but it costs $125 US, to bring in a 15 lbs item, so a 20-25 lbs (with packaging will be kinda too high...

Ok' date=' but what if there are no GuitarCenter's in my country?[/quote']

Well of course there is! That's how the internet works!

And if you can't get great advice from your local GC saleswoman (or Sweetwater - stalkers!, or whoever), you can always get bad advice from your forum of choice...

Just sayin'

There is no difference regarding the amplifier itself. However it will sound different because of the different cabinets. There's nothing stopping you using an external cabinet with a combo - in that case they'll sound identical.

Ok' date=' but what if there are no GuitarCenter's in my country?

I admit there are stores, that are just as full with **** as guitarcenter, but that's the reason for my many posts and threads here about different amps in the same day. As I come across them, this is the most reliable source to check them out.

A couple of weeks ago I posted about the Super Champ XD. I am still considering, it but I have moved along to an AC4tv ( it costs less to bring it in with the distributors, who are in my country, yay!). Unfortunately they don't bring in Fender amps......I really want a fender amp, but it costs $125 US, to bring in a 15 lbs item, so a 20-25 lbs (with packaging will be kinda too high...[/quote']

OK, but the fact of the matter is that you have to put your ears on whatever you think you might want to spend a dime on, and after that, it doesn't matter who says what.

Buy what sounds good to you.

Thats what I'll do, the reason I'm sticking with the Fender Super Champ XD, even though not too many users here, liked it, is this:

From the time that I got my first electric, I have been using a SS Digital Modelling amp in the form of a Line 6 Spider 3. Only $68 dollars now.

For two and a half years, I got decent tones with it, and more recently, I have found an ultimate tone , for me, on it, its perfect. Just the right amount of reverb , bass, mids, treble, everything. Even better it sounds just as good, on the crunch channel as it does on the clean. Except slightly broken up sound.

I am sure that a full tube amp is better, but after I have seen that modelling amps have their uses especially more to a newbie to electric like me, I mean compared to some here, I think I can get get good tones, with that amp.

Of course I wouldn't turn down a Blues Junior NOS, or definitely not a Princeton Reissue.

A lot of this Fender amp love, is from listening to gregsguitars on youtube, he uses a lot of original Fender amps.

If I decide to save a little more, I may buy the Blues Junior NOS, but I think the Super Champ on without the modelling effects, I believe there are two channels, one with modelling, and one without, and two or three pedals, I will get nice good tones.

As I've said before. I like my Super Champ xD because you can have it both ways - pure tube or with some DSP stuff.

Beyond that, if you want to pound that into a separate speaker cab, well then... that's a whole 'nother country, as is said by our Texas cousins.

A head ain't nothing but an amp looking for a place to send signal.

Combos can do that. too.

Still in search of the right amp? I just had my JVM410c delivered today. What a beast, I mean that in a good way. I had played the half stack and the combo versions of this amp. Very pleased with both. The difference that the additional 2 speakers make was pretty insignificant (for the environment that I am playing in). If you are playing venues larger than a club, then I can really see then need for a half or even full stack, but this sucker can get really loud!!! I tried to get past 5, but I was afraid of busting out the windows. There is much debate about the convenience factor too, it is true a quarter stack (2x12 combo at 65 lbs) is a real back breaker, but is easy to fit under a desk or in the trunk of your car. Whereas a half stack or worse yet a full stack needs to have dedicated transportation (truck or van) and they are only slightly lighter and you have to make multiple trips. You may not be in the market for this particular amp, but weight and dimensions are universal plusses and minuses, so choose what version you want with those things considered.

Archived