Gibson Brands Forums

Remember your first...?

Izzy

I can't remember.

There's no way telling.

I've learned so many songs.

Could have been War Pigs or Working Man, but I played bass then. It also could have been Space Truckin' by Deep Purple. My bass part also had a cool, ripping bass solo that I added. It fit right in and was funky. Ripping Funky Bass. That was it.

One of the first guitar songs I learned was Heartbreaker. But again, probably has it's roots in my bass playing.

Get down. Hell yeah, guess I remember after all.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stuff like Midnight Special is what gives me the problem in describing what a given "song" belongs to in terms of genre.

It's been done so many ways, over so many days...

I thought Leadbelly wrote it too, for ages... I guess we can blame Lomax for that.

Another "what kinda music is that" piece is "Irene Good Night."

btw, dj...

I'd never heard of the Dubliners that I recall. That genre was more represented by the Clancy Bros. and Tommy Makem. A concert, I think it was the summer of '62 at the Boston Public Gardens was one I'll not forget.

m

I think the first songs I learned were the bass lines to "Wild Thing" and "Smoke on the Water". Not sure which I learned first... it was for a career day performance at school.

The first song I learned all the chords to and could actually perform was "Love Me Tender".

(Yes, my first song contained B7... a tough one to get my untrained fingers to form quickly. )

Bob...

I remember my Dad singing "Irene." <grin>

As for me... sometimes I live in the country, sometimes I live in the town, too. <bigger grin>

Remember how some radio stations refused to run a suicide song or two?

Another one is "troubled in mind." .... as in "I'm gonna lay my head, on that lonesome railroad line... let the 2:19, satisfy my mind..."

m

Bob...

I remember my Dad singing "Irene." <grin>

As for me... sometimes I live in the country' date=' sometimes I live in the town, too. <bigger grin>

Remember how some radio stations refused to run a suicide song or two?

Another one is "troubled in mind." .... as in "I'm gonna lay my head, on that lonesome railroad line... let the 2:19, satisfy my mind..."

m

[/quote']

Like you, I recall DOZENS of songs my dad sang when I was a kid. Of course when I started learning guitar, I stayed away from anything he liked... HATED C&W....but as time went on, (and not very much time), I sorta drifted toward C&W. No matter what I play, it has a C&W "tilt" to it, and I remember before my dad died, and when he could still play and sing, I taught him many of the songs he used to try to play. So, of course, when I "go down" they'll pry my axe out of my cold, hard fingers somewhere in the chord progression of Hank Thompson's "Oklahoma Hills"!!

Bob

Bob...

Off the top of my head, I think Oklahoma Hills was some of the Guthries... <grin>

Ian Tyson did a great version of it some years ago.

My Dad didn't care for Country and suggested that stuff I was doing on guitar/banjo circa 1963-4 long after I left home was "what the hillbillies did when I was in the Army." <grin>

He didn't really play guitar, although he had a horrid little 30s bit in the attic. But for some reason music really was emphasized but without too much pressure in the house. He and my Mom both were into singing, and singing together. I remember one event where he was doing "when you and I were young, Maggie," and she was doing "Spanish Cavalier" simultaneously.

A different era, for certain. Some of the 50s stuff really crossed into folk, bluegrass, etc., to the point that got me interested in "currently played" country. That and sitting in greasy spoon truck stops late at nite listening to Hank Snow and stuff...

On another thread about learning jazz, much of the recommendation is "get a teacher."

Well, playing piano with a teacher from age 4-10 and trumpet with teachers from 10-16 didn't help my sight reading. And several of those teachers were considered very good. That's why I sometimes question stuff. I wish I were a better sight reader but then ... I remember the old line about "can you read music?" "Not enuf to hurt my playing..."

m

Bob...

Off the top of my head' date=' I think Oklahoma Hills was some of the Guthries... <grin>

Ian Tyson did a great version of it some years ago.

[/quote']

Yes, Woody wrote it, but I recall Hank's version from my childhood.... I'm not sure I ever heard Woody do it, but I'll bet it's gritty & good!

Of course my dad was born outside Muskogee and was the 5th of 11 kids. He and my uncles got a guitar, (one among 5 of them!), but my Grandfather wouldn't let 'em play it when he was around. He used to tell them, "Put that thing away until you learn how to play it!" But they all did learn. Too bad they didn't have a couple of them, (Dust Bowl era...so money was scarce as hen's teeth), because all my uncles played, and could make the chords okay...but their timing was difficult to follow. I recall all my uncles, several of my cousins all gathering at my Grandparents home and having about 3-4 guitars there and playing 'til it was time to go. VERY favorite memories for me.

Below is a photo someone took at a memorial for my mother earlier this year. I think there are 7-8 guitars going at one time!

Bob

4457_111876603985_748348985_2772281_226802_s.jpg

Not sure but I remember a FEW sticking out

I am almost positive this was first RUMBLE...LYNK WRAY !!!!

then it could be any other these below

1....The DAVE CLARK 5 ...GLAD ALL OVER or BIT'S AND PIECES

2...JOHN LEE HOOKER.....BOOM BOOM

3....STONES.....PAINT IT BACK !!!']

'

4...QUESTION MARK AND THE MYSTEREIOS....PSYCHOTIC RE-ACTION

5...THE WHO................MY GENERATION

6....CREEEDENCE...... RUN THROUGH THE JUNGLE

DANG that ids a hard one to try to remember

St James

Since I was at Woodstock you can guess my age and the era of songs I grew up listening to.

I listened to a LOTof BLUES growing up.,...I lived in NYC orphanages and most were in Harlem so JAMES BROWN, MUDDY, BB, PINE TOP < WILLIE DIXON were all in my head.

Might have been SPOONFULL, but hat DAVE CLARK 5 song seems to stick in my head...also TOMMY JAMES AND THE SHONDELLS....... CRIMSON AND CLOVER

Whoa...this topic brings back memories. I can remember the first song that I learned without looking to see what the notes were was "Yellow Rose of Texas." After that it is a Pop blur. I was so much more advanced than the rest of the students in the class that my teachers would just ask me to bring in records and they would play them and write the chords for me. I played for the church for three years, hence the Pop blur. And I can remember some Neil Diamond, soundtracks of the times, Rod Stewart, Grand Funk Railroad, and even Olivia Newton-John.

Archived