Gibson Brands Forums

Which Gibsons will give me this sound?

SC_Wannabe

OK, I've never owned one but I've got major Gibson gas! I own a couple of nice Martins, but I've been thinking seriously about selling one to fund a J-45 or an AJ. An Epiphone AJ-500R is also in the running, but I'm just not sure it would give me the sound I'm after.

I was youtube surfing last night and found this clip which is EXACTLY the sound I'm looking for. This is a Southern Jumbo, but would a J-45 give me the same sound? It will take a road trip for me to try some Gibsons out, as no store near me stocks any acoustics. Thanks for any input to help fuel my gas...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I3nBbrYISg

A Southren Jombo is basicly a J-45 with a little extra bling. ( Fretboard inlays and bigger pick guard.) Both the AJ and Epiphone's AJ-500R have Rosewood bodies as where the Southern Jumbo and J-45 have Mahogany bodies. Sounds like you may be looking for a Mahogany body guitar. I would suggest the J-45 or a J-45TV (True Vintage). I have a J-45TV and the tone is well worth the extra money.

Welcome to the forum! Often trying to duplicate a recorded sound or tone you've heard somewhere is an exercise in frustration. There are so many variables - characteristics of individual instruments, strings, playing style, room acoustics, microphone, etc. - that one can easily be disappointed. While acquiring the same guitar is a step in the right direction, it is certainly not a sure-fire way to get there. armed with this knowledge, tread cautiously in the pursuit of this tone.

As has been mentioned, "ymmv", there are different nuances of sound between individual guitars, etc......

But -- in general -- "yes" a J-45, SJ, J-50, even Hummingbird will put you in that tonal spectrum.

Usual caveats apply, of course.

Fred

+1 on what buc said. it is good that you ear is telling you what you like. a cheap, entry level takamine can sound good recorded and a high end, boutique guitar can sound bad recorded. the fun part of this point in your journey is that you should now play every guitar you can get you hands on within a 100 mlie radius of your home. enjoy the road trips. i've done it. its a riot. take a fellow player/friend to listen or play while you listen.

Thanks for the feedback and caveats. I realize that matching a particular tone or sound is not 100% possible, but that youtube clip personified the tone I'm after.

I had my eye on an '06 J-45 rosewood on the BuffaloBros website. They have a 100% trade-up policy, and I bought a uke from them a few years back that would have contributed several hundred dollars towards it. I just called them and unfortunately the J-45 sold this morning. The search continues...

Thanks for the feedback and caveats. I realize that matching a particular tone or sound is not 100% possible' date=' but that youtube clip personified the tone I'm after.

I had my eye on an '06 J-45 rosewood on the BuffaloBros website. They have a 100% trade-up policy, and I bought a uke from them a few years back that would have contributed several hundred dollars towards it. I just called them and unfortunately the J-45 sold this morning. The search continues...[/quote']

I would humbly suggest that you are after a 'mahogany' Gibson sound. I have versions of the slope shouldered dread a la Gibson in three woods: mahogany, rosewood and maple -- and the sound that I *think* you are hearking after is in fact the mahogany variant.

My 2 cents'.

Fred

[quote=MisterGibs

And for "Yesterday" you just got to have a Martin D28

"Yesterday" was recorded (and is still performed by McCartney) on an Epiphone Texan.

"Blackbird" was the D28.

By the way, Mr. Gibs, your playing and singing in the videos you linked is lovely.

Red 333

"Yesterday" was recorded (and is still performed by McCartney) on an Epiphone Texan.

"Blackbird" was the D28.

O.K That's it. Thanks for the good words.

I just want to say that if one have enough money and time can have 20 acoustic guitars.

If not - one is enough :-)

For all the songs :-)

[quote=MisterGibs

And for "Yesterday" you just got to have a Martin D28

"Blackbird" was the D28.

By the way' date= Mr. Gibs, your playing and singing in the videos you linked is lovely.

Red 333

[/quote]

Second on that, good playing and singing Mr. Gibs.....

Regarding mahogany vs. rosewood, all of my guitars up to now (except one) have been mahogany. From what little rosewod I've played, I was thinking about going rosewood with a Gibson. I guess I need to play a rw and a hog J-45 to see though. My hog martins (D-18V, D-16, 00-18V) just don't seem right for my style -- I mostly like to just strum and sing, with a bit of flatpicking mixed in. I offered the D-18V up for trade for a J-45 or AJ on a couple other forums, but didn't get any takers for what I wanted. I'm going to list it locally next week and if it sells I'll put the money towards a Gibson of some sort. I'd like to get everything down to just a couple of nice guitars, maybe a D-28 and a hog J-45. I'm still searching for what's right for me, I suppose...

I just want to say that if one have enough money and time can have 20 acoustic guitars.

If not - one is enough :-)

For all the songs :-)

Especially when one has your talent. Then you can make the guitar do just about anything you want : )

Red 333

Ok, solved my problem yesterday. I stopped by my small local Gibson dealer and was very surprised to find a J-50 hanging on the wall. It was the only dread in the shop. The tone was exactly what I was looking for and the price was more than right,so home it came!

Archived