Gibson Brands Forums

Hi from Austin

Azazello

Hi. I'm new here. I just found this forum, and thought I might fit in since I've been a Gibson man for many moons. My first was the 1957 J-50 I got in one of those amazing pawn shop mistakes back in the 80's (would you believe $165?) I've ridden her hard for over twenty years now and it's gotten better and better sounding. Looks like it's been mauled by a bear; it's been cheaply and badly refinished or stained or something, has no pick guard and doesn't even have the dreadnought style pick guard someone sloppily glued to it before I got it, but dammit everyone offers to buy it because it sounds like losing your virginity feels. I put some Schaellers on it, had a new bridge and saddle fitted, and installed a Barcus Berry Insider, and gigged with it for ten years. It's semi-retired now, but still played every day.

So howdy from the Hill Country. I'll arrange to get pics of this battered old girl up soon so you can all see how bad a J-50 can look. You'll have to visit to see how great it plays.

cheers,

azazello

update: I think I have pics now...

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Hey Red, I think I just fell in love with your girlfriend. Or maybe that's you in the picture. I will try to figure out how to get handy with sound clips. For now, I'm trying to overcome my ignorance to get oictures working. One thing at a time.

Dallas is my old stomping ground, and as much as everyone brags about Austin, I still think Dallas and Denton are better music towns.

OK then.

Did you ever see Dallas from a DC-9 at night?

I used to work at Club Dada back in its heyday. And a guy came in pretty often to do sound for guys like Barefoot David Lufkin. His name was Steve something or other' date=' and unless I am suffering from early onset Alzheimer's [i']he's the guy who wrote that song.[/i] He finally played a show one night, and featured that song. Fantastic song. Puts a smile on my face to see it's still alive. Steve was a very cool cat. Hope he's doing well wherever he is. Maybe you know him...

OK then.

Azezelo = Welcome! From the southern foothills of the Hill Country ! Did you get that gem in a pawn shop in Austin? Some TU student didn't know what he had ???

Jefferson Avenue in Dallas. I have heard that J-50s weren't really recognized as great guitars until the '90s, but that's pretty hard to believe. I know Martins were favorites in those days, but I never owned one.

OK then.

Welcome to the forum Azezllo! I live alittle further in the hill country myself, Marble Falls. I was in Austin today enjoying the recent awesome weather (finally had rain and below 100f) and was daydreaming about finding a Collins in a pawnshop next to a Yamaha and priced the same. Nice find on your gibson, would love to hear it.

Welcome to the forum Azezllo! I live alittle further in the hill country myself' date=' Marble Falls. I was in Austin today enjoying the recent awesome weather (finally had rain and below 100f) and was daydreaming about finding a Collins in a pawnshop next to a Yamaha and priced the same. Nice find on your gibson, would love to hear it.[/quote']

I'll see if I can make this long and boring....mid-80s I was a struglling street musician. Went to Kerrville folk and of course got drenched. My old Ibanez actually had a couple gallons inside it. It was destroyed. I blamed God, and told him to make it right. I had a couple hundred bucks saved and hit the pawn shops in Dallas. First day looking I found this beaten old guitar, recognized Gibson as a good maker, and offered the guy $150. We settled at $165. A sympathetic luthier allowed me to pay on time and fitted a new bridge and Schaellers, and a Barcus Berry Insider. I swear before all that is holy that within the first week of having this old bird, I was getting my first gigs in clubs. I started writing songs like a maniac, and the thing develop into a four piece band in a couple months. Thus began the best ten years of my life. I assert divine intervention when anyone asks if it's for sale.

OK then.

Kelly

Archived