Gibson Brands Forums

Question About Janick Gers's Solo Tone

guitargreg1993

(Janick's solo - 3:46)

I was watching Flight 666 last night... and every time i watch it, Janick's tone for the solo in "2 Minutes to Midnight" just amazes me.... it sounds so awesome.... IMO even though i dont like him as much as Adrian and Dave, i think his solo tone is much better than their solo tones....

anyway, i've never been able to really figure out what type of effect he uses.... it sounds like some sort of wah and maybe some other modulation effect... but i love the sound because it sounds so warm....

anyway, do you know what type of effects are used for his tone? ive looked it up a bunch of times before but all i know is that he uses the marshall jmp preamp and the matching multi-effects unit.

listen to his solo which starts at 3:46 in the youtube vid.

so can anyone help me?? any help is appreciated... thanks =P~

peace O:)

Hi

To me it sounded like he was using the rhythm pick up with the tones turned down to zero. Maybe there is some sort of modulation used too, I am not sure.

I am like you, Gers still seems like the new boy of the group but he fares very well on Flight 666 :-k

Matt

Without the intention to sound cruel, what amazes me the most, is that Janick is actually ALLOWED to have a solo moment, while playing between the BEST BY FAR PAIR of electric guitar players in the history of electric guitar. I've always felt that it was extremely kind of the rest members that let him keep his job, after Adrian returned...

OK, that was cruel... But really, he never contributed anything truly creative and that's something that you have to do when playing for the greatest band (at least among the top 3...) of Heavy Metal.

As far as tone is concerned, Dave's neck pickup melody solos, are simply unsurpassed, to my ear at least.

I'm a huge Maiden fan, it's my favorite band and has been for many years. I have never cared much for Janick tho, but I'll try and pay him more attention and try to find out how to get his tone.

Most of maiden's tone comes from their EQ and pickup selector position.

Without the intention to sound cruel' date=' what amazes me the most, is that Janick is actually ALLOWED to have a solo moment, while playing between the BEST BY FAR PAIR of electric guitar players in the history of electric guitar. I've always felt that it was extremely kind of the rest members that let him keep his job, after Adrian returned...

OK, that was cruel... But really, he never contributed anything truly creative and that's something that you have to do when playing for the greatest band (at least among the top 3...) of Heavy Metal.

As far as tone is concerned, Dave's neck pickup melody solos, are simply unsurpassed, to my ear at least. [/quote']

Hi Hector

I know what you mean. The impression I got from them on Flight 666 were that they were very forward looking; Gers to them was as much a member as the rest of the band. Even so I am so stuck in my ways that I still find it hard to think of Iron Maiden as a 4 guitar band now. In my mind it is just Steve, Dave and Adrian.

By the way Hector, although my wife and have seen Maiden live and own a couple of live dvds already there tightness when playing live never ceases to amaze me. I would even go as far as saying they are one of the most together live acts from any genre on the planet!

Matt

I love Iron Maiden. They are one of my favorite bands. As for Janick's tone, that's a tough one. I know he uses some kind of humbuckers that are the size of single coil pups. -Similar to the image below. It sounds like he's using maybe the neck pickup, or has his tone knob turned down a bit. I hear some reverb on there as well. I'm just guessing though. Up the Irons!

pickup.jpg

Reminds me of Clapton's "Woman Tone." Thick, articulate sound with moderate gain and accentuated mid frequencies.

That's what it sounds like to me, at least. Very nice. I love Maiden (my favorite metal band, and I think the best one out there,) but I have to admit that Janick never was my favorite Maiden guitarist, either. I'm with Hector as far as best tone.

Sounds like neck pickup and less gain than you'd think to me.

I agree, and yet freezing the vid at 3:50 he looks to be in position 2 (if his wiring is standard). I'm guessing the tone is rolled way off. BTW, Wikipedia confirms the JB, Jr. pickups in the Stratocaster - great little pickup if humbuckers in Strats is your thing.

I agree' date=' and yet freezing the vid at 3:50 he looks to be in position 2 (if his wiring is standard). I'm guessing the tone is rolled way off. BTW, Wikipedia confirms the JB, Jr. pickups in the Stratocaster - great little pickup if humbuckers in Strats is your thing. [/quote']

thanks... and after looking at my flight 666 dvd youre correct about the position 2 thing.... but actually he only has the mini hb's in the bridge and neck positions... he has a single coil in the middle position (unless its one of those stacked pu's)....

Archived