Gibson Brands Forums

Melody Maker

Larsson

Hey guys,

not sure if i put this in the right sections so sorry if i did,

but ive been looking at getting a good backup guitar for my SG standard, and came across the Melody Maker's,

they come in at a very appealing price of just over £300 which would be the perfect price for a backup guitar.

Just wondering what your guys views are on this guitar (the single pickup version), whever you think that it a worth while guitar to get? obviously the price is very low for a Gibson, does this affect the quality or is it one of those guitars which you get what you pay for?

comments appreciated,

if you own a melody maker feel free to post your views on this guitar model

Cheers,

Larsson

I love my MM.

Everyone that pretty much owns one mods the pups and the nut.

Its nice for rock and blues but if ur going to play anything heavier its not worth it.

The quailty is still very good for a low price guitar but its not going to be a les paul lol.

Although I don't have one, I've been seriously GASing for one that I see in my friend's music store, exactly for the same purpose as you do. I know that everyone having one, really loves it!

This summer I saw Blues Wire (probably the best European blues band IMHO) live 2 different times. The lead singer / frontman use a MM on the first show and a G&L Asat on the second one. Same song list. His tone was much more unique and cutted through with his MM... He did wonders with this one! And considering the price...

Why don't you get an SG faded - its about 600 and it will feel quite the same as the standard. (I am thinking of getting one myself for the same purpose.)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gibson-SG-Special-Faded-Cherry-Pre-Owned-But-Never-Used_W0QQitemZ250526980476QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item3a5492597c

There you go - it's only 575 pounds

Archived