Gibson Brands Forums

guys i messed up...................

Gibson CS

man

so i was changing the Pups on my guitar, was gonna try a diff neck Pup with my dimarzo norton in the bridge.

you know if done alot of work on my guitars and ive never had a problem before, but tonight i messed up bad

right now i have no Pups in either of my les pauls, and like 8 pots, 2 selector switches, a bunch of wires, and the smell of solidering gun in my room

man i messed up bad, ive never had any trouble doing my own electrical work before, but today i messed up bad

=(

man

so i was changing the Pups on my guitar' date=' was gonna try a diff neck Pup with my dimarzo norton in the bridge.

you know if done alot of work on my guitars and ive never had a problem before, but tonight i messed up bad

right now i have no Pups in either of my les pauls, and like 8 pots, 2 selector switches, a bunch of wires, and the smell of solidering gun in my room

man i messed up bad, ive never had any trouble doing my own electrical work before, but today i messed up bad

=([/quote']

Was is alcohol? =D>

no i wasnt drinking or on drugs or nything

everything is wired stock, but my neck pickups isnt putting out any noise

also there seems to be a grounding problem

i never had any trouble before, and all the soilder seems to be good,

maybe the magnets are out of phase? i read something that maybe my Pups magnets are affecting each other

idk

gibson didnt know what to do either

This is what I do to check ground. Get a multimeter and set it to ohms. With the probes touch one probe to the tailpiece stud and the other probe to the back of the pot (and only the back of the pot touching nothing else) the ground wire is soldered to. It should read "0". Then check pot to pot, these should also read "0". Then I check the ground of the toggle switch to the two volume pots, this should also read "0". Remeber to touch the back of the pot casing and not any wires.

This is all provided you have braided wriring and not the metal plate still. Saw this on one of the "Seymour Duncan" videos and thought it was a good idea for checking ground.

You can't change the phase of the magnets without taking the whole pickup apart. If you wired the two pickups out of phase then either one would work fine as per normal and when you went to the middle position they would beging to cancel each other out and give you a very thin sound.

You could have cold solder joints, they will look fine to you but won't work. You may have fried your pots depending on what wattage soldering iron and how long you heated the pot cases, you might have broken or pulled a wire off somewhere else, you may have pulled the wires loose from the pickups themselves, broken a winding.....the list goes on and on. Honestly, the fastest way to fix it would be take it in to a shop. Otherwise, put it away for a day or two, and take a break. Then go back and redo one pickup at a time testing each one as you go. Using a meter to check continuity from the output leg of the volume pot, through the switch to the jack will help a lot. If you have that, then the problem is between the pot and the pickup, if you don't then check between the pot and switch, then the switch and jack and hoefully you will find the problem. It is impossible to fault find your problems without having the guitar in front of us, but, take a break, then go back and take it nice and slow. Hopefully it is something minor. Good luck with it, let us know how you make out.

Archived