Gibson Brands Forums

"The Edmond Fitzgerald"

suburude63

Wow.... and that happened on November 10, 1975. 34 years ago last Tuesday.

I recall always thinking, how bad can it get on a lake, fer cryin' out loud... after all, I live very close to the Pacific Ocean, (a good spit from my office will hit water in the SF Bay) ... 'til one winter's day I stood on the banks of Lake Superior in Duluth... and then I realized Lake Superior is no minor lake... this is a SERIOUS body of water....

Oh yeah... and the song is GREAT!

Bob

Oh dear.... I did not need to know that there is another site of music videos! This one got me hauling the guitar out of its case and playing along, and it's only 0830 hours! I'm not even dressed yet! I'm still drinking my morning coffee! Hmmm, maybe I'll just go over that one more time then......

Oh dear.... I did not need to know that there is another site of music videos! This one got me hauling the guitar out of its case and playing along' date=' and it's only 0830 hours! I'm not even dressed yet! I'm still drinking my morning coffee! Hmmm, maybe I'll just go over that one more time then......[/quote']

I just picture you with a flannel robe and fuzzy slippers!!

Lordy' date=' I hate that flippin' song!

[/quote']

Yikes!

I'm not too crazy about it either. [biggrin]

Much as I like fellow countryman Gordie's work and respect his considerable talents as a performer, poet, songsmith, etc., "Edmund" just ain't my favourite song. (It's more like a 'switch the station' response from me.)

Fred

Gordon Lightfoot is unique. Still performing. Was here in San Antonio last year. This song is only one of his many greats: Sea of Tranquility' date=' Early Morning Rain and, of course - If You Could Read My Mind. Granted, he's a [u']Canook[/u]....

Yes, which begs the quesion, why isn't Early Morning Rain called Early Morning Snow??

I love Gordy, although Fitzgerald isn't one of my favourites. I don't mind listening to it but playing it gets monotonous. Brilliant song nonetheless when you look at the poetry, history and musical style he employed to evoke the images of this Great Lakes tragedy. The monotony is due to the native chant/drone style of the piece. He played it all the way through when I saw him in concert last spring.

I'm working on recording one of my favourite Lightfoot medleys; I'm Not Sayin' / Ribbon of Darkness. I love the way he consciously puts two parts of his "bastard" personality together in two songs in the same key. In the first he tells his woman that he can't commit to her and not to be upset when he is out with other women, then, with a clever segue, he launches into "tears I've never had before" when his woman walks out the door. Gord put the songs together in full recognition of these two aspects of his personality. He did the same with "Thats What You Get For Lovin' Me / Did She Mention My Name"... bastard womanizer in the first and nostalgic lover in the second.

And another thing (don't get me started on Lightfoot at a party or I'll never leave), the song "If You Could Read My Mind" is considered a beautiful love song. Does anyone listen to lyrics? He's dumping his girl because he can't scrape up any feelings for her, considers himself chained to her and sees her putting him in some sort of Harlequin romance or soap opera Hollywood movie. I find it fascinating whenever I play this song for a group and all the women go "Ooooh aaahhh! I looooove this song!!" LMAO.

BTW, I just finished recording on of Lightfoot's most beautiful songs:

Softly

Played it with my Songwriter of course!

Dear Mr. Lightfoot;

A review of social work statistics will demonstrate that men who get married and stay married lead healthier, happier, and LONGER lives than do single men.

Just thought you'd want to know, for your next song-writing blitz.

Sincerely,

Gilliangirl, BSW RSW

Dear Mr. Lightfoot;

A review of social work statistics will demonstrate that men who get married and stay married lead healthier' date=' happier, and LONGER lives than do single men.

Just thought you'd want to know, for your next song-writing blitz.

Sincerely,

Gilliangirl, BSW RSW[/quote']

A bit late with your message GG! He's been married to Elizabeth Moon since 1988! :-

Doug' date=' EXCELLENT job on that song..... it's beautiful![/quote']

Thanks so much! I'm going to play this at the next open mic I go to! ... Soon! :-

PS: that is the new Taylor GA3-12 you hear in the right channel doing the strumming.

Thanks so much! I'm going to play this at the next open mic I go to! ... Soon! :-

PS: that is the new Taylor GA3-12 you hear in the right channel doing the strumming.

And when is this next open mic? <clapping>

I haven't done anything with Reaper yet but have plans to do two layers on a John Denver song, with two different guitars....... soon!

Archived