Gibson Brands Forums

First Gibson Les Paul!!

slimjimdom

Hi everybody

I just ordered my first Gibson Les Paul. I'm almost 30, been playing guitar on and off for years. So my new Trans Gold Les Paul BFG is in transit at this very moment. I'm excited and scared to see it considering the huge variances in the BFG's finishes..But I'm not buying it for the finish. I'm buying it for the pure tone and playabilty of a les paul with a p-90 even if its just one.

I love the soapbars. My first "real guitar" was a epi 56 goldtop with p-90's and the green key tuners. I dont like the chrome ones they put on the new epi's.

I also have a SG faded cherry which I really love too and over the past year its gotten its share of play wear its missing some finish in a few areas like where the guitar rests on my leg...but its just getting broken in. Sounds and plays GREAT..I've been told by more than one tech how surprised they are at how nice that thing plays and sounds.

(of course thats after the setup and fret dressing)

Anyhow enough of my ranting. i'm like a kid at xmas HAHA

Also May as well introduce myself

Like i said been playing guitar on and off for years.

i dont know what my style would be but..im not a metal player. I am a big fan of Social D. that rock/country twangy growl sound (whatever you wanna call it) is the sound ive always gravitated toward.

Thanks for reading ...

AJ

Wow, now that's exactly what i'm hoping mine looks like Guitar Warrior. Have any pictures of the back? I was also thinking of swapping the knobs for either black w/gold inserts or gold w/gold inserts. I didnt think shiny new knobs would look right on this guitar, but they look fine on yours.

Thanks for sharing the pics

Yeah Aaresz, that's me .. frustrating thing is the guitar is sitting in a UPS facility less than 2 hours away from me since noon today (friday) but it won't be here until monday. Not too bad though only a couple more days wait.

Ibis, I'm sure it'll be fine as long as it doesnt show up with holes in the wood like the one i saw on sweetwaters gallery

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/all/s003680660

I'm not too impressed with that

Those 'holes' are just part of the BFG look. Of course every guitar is different in it's own subtle way, but they all have the worn appearance complete with random dents and such. You probably should've done a little more research on the guitar before blindly plunking down a grand on it. They have a quite a 'controversial' look that isn't for everyone.

I have a BFG with a natural top, it's a fantastic sounding guitar. I have personalized it, I put a black mounting ring on the bridge pickup, I replaced the see through control cavity covers with pieces made from diamond plate aluminum that I cut and sanded myself. I also made a diamond plate pickguard but haven't yet installed it. To me that's one of the cool things about it, I don't feel the least bit bad about doing that kind of stuff. Whereas if it was a 2k+ guitar with a beautiful finish I wouldn't touch the thing for fear of it losing value. Plus it really does sound great. The ultra-light finish with the chambered body just resonates wonderfully. And the P-90 sounds great too, albeit a little noisy being a single coil and all.

Yeah Aaresz' date=' that's me .. frustrating thing is the guitar is sitting in a UPS facility less than 2 hours away from me since noon today (friday) but it won't be here until monday. Not too bad though only a couple more days wait.

Ibis, I'm sure it'll be fine as long as it doesnt show up with holes in the wood like the one i saw on sweetwaters gallery

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/all/s003680660

I'm not too impressed with that[/quote']

Nothing wrong with that...it's one of them new BFGs with the aged treatment. O:)

Those 'holes' are just part of the BFG look. Of course every guitar is different in it's own subtle way' date=' but they all have the worn appearance complete with random dents and such. You probably should've done a little more research on the guitar before blindly plunking down a grand on it. They have a quite a 'controversial' look that isn't for everyone.

I have a BFG with a natural top, it's a fantastic sounding guitar. I have personalized it, I put a black mounting ring on the bridge pickup, I replaced the see through control cavity covers with pieces made from diamond plate aluminum that I cut and sanded myself. I also made a diamond plate pickguard but haven't yet installed it. To me that's one of the cool things about it, I don't feel the least bit bad about doing that kind of stuff. Whereas if it was a 2k+ guitar with a beautiful finish I wouldn't touch the thing for fear of it losing value. Plus it really does sound great. The ultra-light finish with the chambered body just resonates wonderfully. And the P-90 sounds great too, albeit a little noisy being a single coil and all.[/quote']

I know what I'm getting, and as I said before I'm not too concerned with the appearance, It's the sound and feel im after. Like anyone else though if I had a line of them in front of me I do have a preference would choose one that's a bit more consistant as far as BFG's go. I know it's rough ... and i like that it is. I'm not blindly dumping plunking down a grand as you said. but again if i had a choice...

Wow' date=' now that's exactly what i'm hoping mine looks like Guitar Warrior. Have any pictures of the back? I was also thinking of swapping the knobs for either black w/gold inserts or gold w/gold inserts. I didnt think shiny new knobs would look right on this guitar, but they look fine on yours.

Thanks for sharing the pics[/quote']

Hi AJ, ive just uploaded some more pics - took a little finding too!!! I swapped ou the knobs for the Amber top hats but kept the original wooden ones too as i switched 'em back before selling her on (plus im always a fan of keeping the original bits and bobs with the guitar, as you never know).

Here you go:

DVC02411.jpg

DVC02417.jpg

DVC02418.jpg

DVC02428.jpg

Haha, I feel your pain. My gibson was shipped to me via UPS. I was following it's progress through online tracking, and was home the day it was supposed to arrive. Finally about halfway through the day I spotted the UPS truck pull up through my front window. I watched the driver stop and go into the back of his truck for several minutes... when he finally emerged again, he sat in the driver's seat and promptly DROVE AWAY. I was like WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT??

But I thought well, maybe another driver has it. Maybe that guy stopping out front was just a coincidence. So I keep checking the tracking and it still says 'out for delivery'. Then a few hours later I checked it again and it said 'exception, customer not available to sign for delivery'. I swear to god that driver never even left his truck! I was so pissed!!

Anyway, after a few angry calls to UPS I finally was able to schedule a pick up later that same night. Luckily I only live a few miles from their customer service center here.

WOW, you can't make up things like that. The delivery guy drove right up to your place but then was too lazy to actually get out of the truck and walk to the door. That or your guitar was at the bottom of a ton of other boxes and he didn't want to dig it out. What a bunch of crap.

Archived