Gibson Brands Forums

New Keb Mo GIBSON Bluesmaster

geelinus

• 2 weeks later...

I can see the point of a sig guitar when a particular instrument has been a players bread and butter for years (espec. out of production models). Neither applies in this instance. Plus Keb sleeps around (Martin sig, Nationals). Better, an L-00 tv (you can call it the Steve James. or the Lotte Mullan) A Nick Lucas Special in RW (call it the Bob Dylan)? or a Banner j45 in maple (call it the Russ Barrenberg). Now, those would make sense (but then they dont ship platinum).

I can see the point of a sig guitar when a particular instrument has been a players bread and butter for years (espec. out of production models). Neither applies in this instance. ..... Now' date=' those would make sense (but then they dont ship platinum).[/quote']

[biggrin] Since this is Gibson forum I'm going to assume that most here would acknowledge the historical importance of the Les Paul guitar or at the very least acknowledge that they've heard of it. A signature guitar, yes?

Do you know how long Les Paul relied on his, "bread and butter" guitar before Gibson thought it might be clever to release it as a signature guitar.

Is the comment I made going to be perceived as "flaming" my fellow forum memember? It's not my intent but frankly your comment puzzles the hell out of me.

Point taken re the Les Paul, CT. Although when Gibson rolled out the LP, Les already had a rep for messing with solid bodies as well as being a player/pop star, so there was some sense to that. Where does Keb fit in?

I just happen to think the sig model marketing trend is a little over the top and that maybe it would make more sense, say, to fill in the gaps in the historic series. But then, I dont have to move the units.

:-k Do you know how long Les Paul relied on his' date=' "bread and butter" guitar before Gibson thought it might be clever to release it as a signature guitar.[/quote']

Not disagreeing with the point you're making, but it is worth stating that Gibson's "Powers That Be" today have nothing in common with the "Powers that Be" in the 1940s.

Point taken re the Les Paul' date=' CT. Although when Gibson rolled out the LP, Les already had a rep for messing with solid bodies as well as being a player/pop star, so there was some sense to that. Where does Keb fit in?

I just happen to think the sig model marketing trend is a little over the top and that maybe it would make more sense, say, to fill in the gaps in the historic series. But then, I dont have to move the units.[/quote']

I agree with you. Seems like both Gibson and Fender have gone "nuts" with the signature models. And honestly, I am clueless as to where Keb fits in.

On a happier note. I do like the Eric Johnson Strat. A quarter sawn maple neck!!! What other guitar uses a quarter sawn maple neck?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived