Gibson Brands Forums

Using tube amps in the cold....

Larsson

Hey,

so me and my band have got the opotunity to record for free, for a guy who needs it to get into university.

However his studio is outside in a kinda shed thing...

So i was wondering if there is a minimum temperature to use my Marshall DSL50 at, atm it is around 10 degrees where i live.

feedback appreciated,

Cheers,

Larsson

It'll be fine. If the amp sits in the cold for a while before you fire it up, I recommend heating up the tubes gradually though. I don't know it's actually a problem or not, but I always think about coffee pots when you go from one that's hot to rinsing it off and there's a chance that the glass could crack.

Where my band rehearses, the heat is off all week until about an hour before we practice. I keep a cheap hair dryer there so I can blow hot air over the tubes (from a distance - don't want to heat them too fast) just to bring them up in temperature from really cold to around room temperature.

My only advice is to let the tubes warm up for a good 10/15 min before you start recording. This is good practice no matter where you record. It'll get your tone consistent by the time the engineer starts mic'ing your cab.

yeh would there be a problem with my guitar from just going from the car into the shed and start playing?

Pulling your guitar out of a toasty-warm case into the really cold can cause numerous problems from finish checking, all the way to more serious issues like wood cracking...

Let the case and guitar sit for a while to equalize the temperature.

Archived