Gibson Brands Forums

Necks, necks and again necks..

Belva

Just like the ittle says: I'm looking for a playable neck on a black les paul custom.

I need a les paul custom ebony guitar, historic line quality, that doesn't weigh a ton and actually has a playable neck. Had to sell a gorgeous LPB7 for that fecking huge neck that really ruins the guitar.

Saw a les paul custom 1968 historic VOSon the bay :

1- does it have the long neck tenon?

2-More important: qhat's the neck size? 50s huge lpb7 historic neck, medium (les paul standardish neck) or slim 60s neck?

Do let me know guys!

Of course do tell me if you have any other suggestion!

thx and take care!

Thx.

Well so basically it's the same as the LPB7 model?

I had one LPB7. incredible piece, but had to sell it for the neck, terribly huge.

I needed something with a smaller neck (slim, medium) but the same quality.

Do let me know guys!

'57 Customs have mahogany tops & Burstbuckers 1 & 2.

'68 Customs have maple tops & '57 Classics.

Not a Custom but have you considered a G0 or R0?

Historic wise, they probably have the slimmest necks.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Custom-1960-Les-Paul-Vos-Plain-Top-Aged-Hardware-102818531-i1274665.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Custom-1960-Les-Paul-Reissue-Electric-Guitar-517835-i1149677.gc

The guitars in the two links are exactly the same. The R0 costs much more because of its flame top.

Thanks for the help. I really need an ebony les paul custom guitar.

I mean is it possible they didn't make any high grade les paul custom ebony guitar with a decently sized neck (not a baseball bat!?!?)

I hope so!

Do let me know!

Belva, I think you'll have to do a lot of searching for that one. I remember seeing a LP Custom a while back with a '60s neck. I can't remember if it was a modern or historic Custom. Anyways, they do exist and Gibson does make them from time to time. The might come with a catch, though. Such as a Guitar Center exclusive.

Do you have to buy new? What about a '70s Custom? A few of the ones I've played had (what I consider) slim necks.

Thx!

I think I might accept a medium neck too. Definitely not the 50s baseball bat neck. I play classically keeping the thumb behind the neck. Result is impossible to do sweeps and stuff.

I really loved the cristalline sound of the historic. 70s les pauls are more dark , rock oriented instruments to my ears. I might be wrong though.

Plus weigth is an issue with 70s models. I'd like a 9.5 lbs guitar or something like that, not a 11-12.

Any other guesses? I saw the les paul lite custom but it's very rare and Im afraid to loose to much of the sound.

Les paul supremes sounded different but great, though the custom colouration is terribly rare if existent.

Les paul classic customs are poorly costructed imo.

Do let me know buddy!

My '70's Les Paul Custom has a slimmer neck. Great neck in fact but the the guitar is very heavy. Norlin made them to last!!! Worth playing before buying! Having said this I love my 70's Custom and will never sell it!

Yep I believe you' date=' Norlin guitars were probably the heaviest LPs ever made.

I need something on the 9.5 lbs though ... like very good historics...

Still with a medium-slim neck, ebony black beauty colouration.[/quote']

Contact Gibson Custom Shop...have them build you exactly what you want! ;>)

CB

Contact Gibson Custom Shop...have them build you exactly what you want!

Yeah' date=' it's easy!

You only have to do two things;

[b']1.[/b] Write a big fat check.

2. Wait.

Other than that, it's easy!

[cool]

Seriously,

Listen to RS1959, I think he's onto something for you....

this one definitely has a skinny neck:

http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-jimmy-page-custom-les-pau-black#

http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-jimmy-page-les-paul-custo#

look for the stoptail version if you dont want the bigsby. these are limited editions though, so they will be harder to find.

also, maybe try going to GC, i think they have/had an exclusive-run '68 RI with skinny(60s) necks. i don't know if they come in black though.

Thx for all the answers (tazzboy tell me more about that pic.. so why do they call slim necks "60s slim tapers"? )

The les paul page guitar is a dream guitar, but heck what a price tag!

Do 80s customs have skinny necks? are them 12 lbs guitars or something better (i mean the first post pancake guitars, but before the weight reliving cheese).

Modern les paul customs from the 90s are good guitars or I shouldn't bother going out trying some ?

Let me know. Remember i'm looking for that lpb7 sound with the looks.. just thinner neck!

PS: i contacted gibson custom before for a black les paul supreme.

They told me "ask to some retailer if they can order one from gibson".

What the heck!?!?

Well, technically (unless your're a "star/celebrity"), us mere mortals, have to go

through an "authorized dealer," to order a "special order" guitar, from the "Custom

Shop." And, depending on the dealer, you may have to put a certain percentage

of the purchase price, as a down payment.

Keeps out the "riff raff," you know?! ;>)

CB

Damn. I contacted a dealer in Nashville but got no response. You're right man. Gotta wait for a black supreme to appear, and try out several customs... stell the fact they ruined a great model like the LPB7 with an huge neck is beyond me.

Archived