Gibson Brands Forums

Tube amps

Andre S

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How much effect' date=' would a pedal such as the Voodoo Lab sparkle pedal which blends od and cleans, have on the clean tones of a Fender Champion 600 at higher volumes.[/quote']

None, since the pedal will go in the signal chain before the preamp and that's what breaks up first (preamp tube). But there might be another out, the Champ will drive an external speaker, build a cab with a more efficient speaker and you might get a little more volume. For example two 8in, 8ohm speakers wired in parallel would give you a 4ohm cab that should put out more sound. However, by the time you do that you might as well just buy one of the bigger 15w combos since the cost will be about the same.

no it's the other way around. With less in the pre-amp it allows you to use more power tube section thus remaining clean because you have to really crank the amp to get the power tubes to compress and distort.

All right now!

I stand corrected, after several hours with the Champ, an SF BandMaster, and an SFDR, I'll admit how wrong I was about a lower gain preamp tube vis-a-vis clean tone.

The 12AU7 does sound cleaner than does the 12AX7 in all three amps.

I've been wrong before, but it feels better to admit it when my own ears bear out what I'd been mistaken about.

Sheesh. I hate it when that happens.

But... A Twin Reverb will still blow clean so loud you ears will bleed.

Please - cut me some slack.

All right now!

I stand corrected' date=' after several hours with the Champ, an SF BandMaster, and an SFDR, I'll admit how wrong I was about a lower gain preamp tube vis-a-vis clean tone.

I've been wrong before, but it feels better to admit it when my own ears bear out what I'd been mistaken about.

Please - cut me some slack.[/quote']

It's all good; I harbor no hard feelings.

It takes a lot of character to admit that in public - I salute you.

All right now!

I stand corrected' date=' after several hours with the Champ, an SF BandMaster, and an SFDR, I'll admit how wrong I was about a lower gain preamp tube vis-a-vis clean tone.

Please - cut me some slack.[/quote']

I found these AU7's in an old 50's RCA TV years ago and tryed them in all my Amps after my

Country & Western Buddy told me thats what they have been doing for years.

000_5618.jpg

In a Twin reverb with all AU7's the Clean Treble with a Tele will make your Ears Bleed

but with a Distortion Pedal through the Front of an Amp with those, they will give-ya

a Fuller better 70's Sound.

You Shocked me by Admitting you were wrong. That shows some Charactor

Archived