Gibson Brands Forums

Celebrating Paul Bigsby's 110th birthday

Cruznolfart

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/Daily/News/Celebrating_Paul_Bigsbys_110th_Birthday.aspx

"Savannah, GA (December 12, 2009) -- December 12th, 2009 marks the 110th birthday of Paul Adelbert Bigsby. When it comes to guitar history, names like Leo Fender, Adolph Rickenbacker, and Les Paul may be more widely known. But their work would not have been possible without the man who designed and built the first solidbody electric guitar."

The Bigsby guitars are some of my favourite designs - simple, but elegant. Nice combination of Fender and Gibson features before either of them were doing it...

Bigsby/Gretsch/Fender is actually producing them in very limited quantities... I'm not sure what the price is.

Well I finally get the hype about the Bigsby beyond the historic perspective. I got to play a buddies Brian Setzer Gretsch Hollow body equipped with the Bigsby. I don't really know what PuPs were in there, but I was getting some wicked sounds out of that guitar that I've never been able to get in any other guitar I've played. I was playing through his 50 watt Marshall VM 2x12, had a small amount of gain with a delay and a Flanger, I was getting this amazing harmonic that would literally feed off of itself when I held a note and tapped the Bigsby. My buddy told me that it is due to how the Bigsby apparatus is mounted to the guitar. I could really feel it through the body. I still think it's a hideous chunk of metal, but I do get it now. Mr. Bigsby was truly a genius, a man ahead of his time.

Archived