Gibson Brands Forums

Dean USA CADILLIAC VS LP

F_L_V

Does anyone have any opinions on the Dean usa Cadiliiac's? Other than shape of course. I don't really know of any one who just played them cause they like them, not because it was a flashy guitar.

I was just wondering tone wise about the two guitars. I'm guessing the tone is similar but im' not sure.

I think that you will love a Dean USA if you buy it. Dean imports are not the greatest in the world...at all. But Dean USA is on par with Gibson all the way. If you get Dean to custom make a Caddy for you, then it will blow away Gibson USA LP's. Contact a dealer to find out more about Dean. I recommend Steve from Blue Rock Guitars in Iowa. He is a great guy and will help you anyway he can. If you choose to get a custom done he can handle that too. Eliot and all the other guys at Dean are super cool guys and will do most anything for a player. I hear a lot crap talked about Dean, but most of it comes from people who have never played a USA. Like I said before there imports are bad, but there USA are great. Trust me I've had one or two.

Dean USA are awesome guitars, the imports are meh, but you can find good individual pieces and change out the pickups which are bad, online ordering just won't cut it, need to try them and good luck finding a Dean dealer near you. They are nowhere near the quality of Gibsons and usa Deans however. The USA Deans are awesome. Note!! MOST USA DEANS FEATURE A SHARP V NECK PROFILE!!! This is very strange to some people... Make sure you dig it before you go there, Deans don't sell as well as Gibsons and I've seen great USA Deans on sale for months/years on end. So resale definatly get a Gibson, and keep your receipt! It helps us all weed out the fake copies in the resale market!

Thanks everyone. The reason I posted the question here instead of a Dean forum is, because I'm leaning towards a Les Paul and want Les Paul players opinion. I know what a LP sounds like but not a USA Caddy. I love the shape of a Caddy, but shape doesn't beat tone, and the whole point of buying an expensive guitar is good tone.

Right now I have a '90 Gibson V, a Jackson USA soloist, and a American Fender strat with ash body, through a Mesa Boogie Single Rec. 2X12 cab. The tones are good but I haven't found what I like yet. I want one main guitar and each of those guitars sound completely different.

Although the soloist is the most versatile and my favorite.

Welcome to the forum F_L_V. There really is very little similarity between the two. I've played a few USA Deans, and have found them to be nice sounding, but the balance was all wrong, it kept sliding around on my shoulder. If I'm not mistaken, they are mahogany bodied with a maple cap (like the LP), PuPs are not as smooth as the BB Pros and 57s (my personal favorites).

Obviously you are going to get a Gibson slanted answer here, but there is a reason why the Gibson Les Paul is the standard. Best advise is to find a USA Dean you like and compare. Who knows, you may like it better.

I have a Soloist as well, and absolutely love it. It will never be my numero uno, but its fun.

Good luck to you.

Archived