Gibson Brands Forums

How to strip a guitar neck

Silenced Fred

I was considering getting a Sheraton II used' date=' I have seen them for about 300 in decent condition, and stripping the finish on the guitar neck. How would I do this, or would be worth taking it somewhere to have it done.[/quote']

Sandpaper...[biggrin]

I dont know what # grit to use.

Anyway if you make sure to go softly so you dont **** up the wood.

And then just use the .0000 steel wool on the neck until the finish is gone? It is that easy [biggrin]

You have to be careful. I usually tape off a stinger behind the headstock.

And I also bag and tape the whole headstock while doing the strip.

.0000 Steel wool. Tape off all cavities so you don't get dust in them.

Cover the pickups air tight so the magnets won't collect the wool debris.

And for the love of all that is good don't take dem00ns advice.

+ 1. Put the body of the guitar in a plastic trash bag. Tape it TIGHT around the base of the neck with blue painter's tape. Use the steel wool. You'll be a lot less likely to remove any wood under the finish with super fine, #0000 steel wool than you would with even the finest grain sandpaper.

[biggrin]

That looks sick!

I am going to do the neck on my Strat tonight' date=' see how that works out. How do you get the stinger exactly? I am thinking just put tape around it and make sure not to go over it. Any advice for that, because it looks killer

[/quote']

So no gibby es?

I am finding quite a few Epi Sheraton IIs in my are for very cheap used' date=' I might pick one up to subside my semi hollow gas attack, then save up for a 335

[/quote']

I had similar thoughts except I would have upgraded and bigsbified an epi lucille....possibly....but I know the only thing that can really cure my GAS is a Gibson....

But a previous post about someone's epi sherry with other pickups, it sounded great!

I had similar thoughts except I would have upgraded and bigsbified an epi lucille....possibly....but I know the only thing that can really cure my GAS is a Gibson....

But a previous post about someone's epi sherry with other pickups' date=' it sounded great![/quote']

i found em for about 250-300 used with case

might have to go get one and strip the neck and change pups

i found em for about 250-300 used with case

might have to go get one and strip the neck and change pups

there's my problem....I don't have the option to buy used

By the time I change everything and add a bigsby, it'll be the same price as a Gibson SG std with an added maestro.

Archived