Gibson Brands Forums

Influences?

Silenced Fred

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first music that I remember liking was the Stones in 1967. Some of the other early influences were the Doors, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Buffalo Springfield, Dave Mason, early Fleetwood Mac. I could probably go on for a while.

Robert Johnson, SRV, BB King, Buddy Guy, Hendrix, The Band,Bob Dylan, Santana, Neil Young, Jeff Beck, U2, The Clash, Pat Metheny, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Brad Mehldau, Clapton (and related groups), Chuck Berre,Muddy Waters, Thelonious Monk, Les Paul, Django Reinhardt, andy classical composor, classical guitarists, flamenco guitarists, Howlin Wolf,The Allman Bros and a few who I cant think of.

BTW great thread.

I guess I'm all over the place. My influences are Gershwin, Mozart, Bach, Chopin, Beethoven, Oscar Peterson, Count Basie, Dave Brubeck, Ray Charles, etc. For guitar I was heavily influenced by Lifeson, SRV and too many blues players to list here, Steve Howe, Van Halen, Page, etc. Lately I've been listening to some others, like Brian Setzer and the original shredder himself...

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I'll go ahead and name some guitarists. Elmore James, Lightnin' Hopkins, Hubert Sumlin, Earl Hooker, Jimi Hendrix, Rory Gallagher, Jerry Garcia, Alvin Lee, John Cipollina, Jorma Kaukonen, Alex Lifeson, Steve Howe, Jan Akkerman, Eddie Van Halen, Big Bill Broonzy, Frank Zappa, John Fogerty, Jimmy Page, and Carlos Santana. Songwriters, (and other performers in a more general sense) who've influenced me include (first and foremost) Bob Dylan, then Elmore James, Roger McGuinn, Bo Diddley, Muddy Waters, Robert Plant, Howlin' Wolf, Robert Hunter, Jon Anderson, John Fogerty, Marc Bolan, and Jack Bruce.

There are loads who I'm forgetting, and a few who I won't mention.

Archived