Gibson Brands Forums

Whats a good bridge for a strat copy?

dem00n

...what strat is it? A mexican strat? a squier? something less?

If so, changing that bridge will amount to nothing... better save that money towards the purchase of a USA strat or a USA tele.

By the way, most vintage style strat bridges suck too if you don't know how to use them... hell most of they suck even if you know how to use 'em! :-

Man, I know where you come from! I still own my first electric, and have done so many mods to her in hopes of making her a decent lady, I could have bought a gibson with that.

Anyway... what are you looking for? A replacement that is the same model or something else? Do you have pics of the guitar?

Ditto! And my first is probably in worse shape than your is, dem00n.

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend, but if you want top of the line Fender-style replacement parts, I recommend Callaham. They're pricey though and you might have to do some measuring to see which parts are going to fit.

Well the bridge on my strat sucks so im looking for a new one.

Its a regular strat trem bridge.

Im looking for something good for some palm muting as well?

Any recommendations?

Man.... I never noticed how MUCH I 'palm mute'...and my Strat sucks at it. I got my Strat late in life, and can't adjust my playing to fit it, (but I ain't gonna let it go).

You guys are Palm Muting too hard. You shouldn't have to push so hard you move the trem, just enough to mute the strings. Even on a hard tail, muting too hard will sharpen the note just a tad, or deaden it to the point of not being a note at all.

For a Strat like Trem, you should rest the edge of your palm over the fulcrum of the trem, then roll your hand into picking position. Similarly with a hard tail, you want your Palm anchored to the bridge just behind the bend in the string over the saddles. Then roll your hand into picking position.

Playing ferocious and fast takes a very light touch.

Palm muting isn't the problem I have, I just pick too damned hard. I used to have my trem set so that it wasn't floating but would still cause the bridge to dip forward when playing. These days, i have a mess of springs installed and the claw screwed down real tight; my Strat is effectively a hard tail now.

Its my washburn guitar.

Its my first guitar so i plan on never getting rid of it.

Its just needs to be re wired and have a new bridge since the old one is rust with screws.

exact the same problem with mine... its a washburn and the action is high and the saddle screws are rusted...

but i wont buy nothing new for it, ill save and buy a new one.

Mind the string and screws spacing on whatever you get, also the saddle width and holding screw is important if you only replace the saddles (which is an option).

If you don't want to invest a whole lot on that guitar or go with a boutique temolo check what GuitarFetish.com has to offer.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/tremelos.html

Dem00n is that humbucker after market? It sure looks like it.

By the way' date=' what are you looking for in the replacement trem? Have you checked cheaper options like schaller and wilkinson?[/quote']

No thats the stock humbucker.

I dont know how it sounds cause every time i go put the selctor switch to 5 or 4 the humbucker doesnt work so it needs to be rewired or replaced, i dont know.

Ive been thinking about the wilkinson bridges but i forgot about the Schaller ones so ill go check those out now.

Oh and btw this guitar has been a basement for 10 years so i wana bring it back to life and playing.

No thats the stock humbucker.

I dont know how it sounds cause every time i go put the selctor switch to 5 or 4 the humbucker doesnt work so it needs to be rewired or replaced' date=' i dont know.

Ive been thinking about the wilkinson bridges but i forgot about the Schaller ones so ill go check those out now.

Oh and btw this guitar has been a basement for 10 years so i wana bring it back to life and playing. [/quote']

If you need any wiring diagrams I have a lot of them for lots of different configurations. Hope you get good parts for a good price and make that guitar usable again.

If you come to Chicago there are several bridges. About a block from my house is one that goes over the Chicago River. I'll help you toss that Strat (or any Strat) into the river.

Must be lots of fun livin' in chicago... tossin' strats and other giutar wannabe's into the river... being close to bluemoon's place and all... [blink]

Archived