Gibson Brands Forums

Rediscovering "Jesus Christ Superstar"

RichCI

My parents had the album with the original London concept album when I was a kid and I remember loving it even as a wee tot. I didn't really understand it, but I knew that it rocked. The last copy I had of it was recording the album to cassette over 20 years ago and I have no idea what I did with the cassette but probably filed it somewhere after I got a CD player

Fast forward.

I've been meaning to get "Jesus Christ Superstar" on CD for years; it was on a list with a bunch of other albums that I want to get on CD. Well, I mentioned it to my girlfriend and she bought it for me for Christmas and I finally listened to it this morning on the way to work. Cranked.

Man, let me tell ya, that album kicks ***! It's not a total guitar album but there are some really tasty parts on it and Ian Gillan as Jesus is awesome! Yes, for you younger players, THAT Ian Gillan, the lead singer of Deep Purple. Yvonne Elliman as Mary and Murray Head as Judas are equally great.

There's not much on YouTube, but here's a taste.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

If you like it and want to buy, be sure to get this recording:

http://www.amazon.com/Christ-Superstar-Original-Concept-Recording/dp/B000002P4H/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1262909693&sr=1-1

Yeah, man! That's one of my favorites too. "Damned for All Time," even though it sounds a little too close for comfort to the old Batman TV show theme, is another killer. I have no idea who Murray Head is other than singing the part of Judas on that album, but that guy has some voice!

Yeah' date=' man! That's one of my favorites too. "Damned for All Time," even though it sounds a little too close for comfort to the old Batman TV show theme, is another killer. I have no idea who Murray Head is other than singing the part of Judas on that album, but that guy has some voice![/quote']

Yeah, you know who Murray Head is... he later had this hit [thumbup] (But he was great in JC Superstar)

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I used to watch the movie version with my dad when I was younger.

Gotta say, you owe it to yourself to get the original Broadway soundtrack. The movie one kinda sucked. Some of the vocal talent left and was not in the movie - including Deep Purple's Ian Gillan.

Archived