Gibson Brands Forums

Major scale

nikko18

Which songs are you trying to apply it to? Most rock music is minor, not major. You need to consider the natural minor scale as well. If you already know the major scale you're 99% there.

Scales are like an alphabet of notes available to you. The good thing is, there's only 7 distinct notes, and they all sound distinct (very different).

Everything you need to know (also see the 4th page for all possible major scale shapes);

http://www.jsguitarforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56336

btw you said you learnt the major scale today. What did you learn? That it exists? One position on the fretboard?

It's not something that can be learnt in one day. To completely learn it you need to consider the following: how each scale degree sounds within a key, know how to play it anywhere on the fretboard in any key, in any position (there are 12).

Here is a great site for learning and practicing scales. www.jamcenter.com

Choose the scale you want to practice and select the tempo to play along to it. They also have backing tracks to jam to help you apply the scale.

The advice given above about extending the scale to differnt places on the fret board is a must. When practicing scales I try to play as many variations as possible. Have fun.

I improvise over scales for hours on end. Once they're burned into your head you'll automatically try <insert note that fits into scale> when figuring out songs' date=' [b']course it doesnt always work.[/b]

I beg to differ. If your ear is solid, it always works.

I improvise over scales for hours on end. Once they're burned into your head you'll automatically try <insert note that fits into scale> when figuring out songs' date=' course it doesnt always work.[/quote']

That's how I did it. I couldn't just sit there and run through a scale as fast as I could.

I learned by playing scales over backing tracks. Thousands of hours improvising and trying to stay in key. I believe it is a great method. Started with slow blues tracks. There are tons of backing tracks out there. Just search for them.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

So I learnt the major scale today. I am having a hard time applying it to actually songs though. :/

discuss.

Did you learn the 7 modes?

Like somebody alreay said "minor" will be more useful probably, so if you learn the Major scale you will see that the 6th mode or Aeolian will be more "useful". I did not know this but naturally gravitated to it then I found out I was on the right track.

Nikko, Learning a scale or pattern and playing it from top to bottom is easy. When you're just playing around with a scale, don't play notes in order & jump around with it. Know what I mean? If you're playing C Major and you're on C, don't think B & D are your only two choices.

Modes are good. Google them, they're easy to figure out.

Did you learn the 7 modes?

Like somebody alreay said "minor" will be more useful probably' date=' so if you learn the Major scale you will see that the 6th mode or Aeolian will be more "useful". I did not know this but naturally gravitated to it then I found out I was on the right track.

[/quote']

It gets even more fun when you change scale modes as you change chords.

Archived