Gibson Brands Forums

would it be fair to say this bridge is a tad big?

jefleppard

It may have gone in for repair(s) to the bridge area and they installed an oversized bridge to cover damage to the surrounding area. I know Martin used to offer a slightly oversized bridge for repair work.

Like this one.

willie-nelsonop.jpg

So it is true that you can't judge a book by its cover. I looked it up on the Wikipedia here is what it said Trigger

Nelson's principal guitar is a Martin N-20 nylon-string acoustic, which he has named "Trigger", after Roy Rogers' horse. Constant strumming (with a guitar pick) over the decades has worn a large sweeping hole into the guitar's body near the sound hole (there is no pick-guard on the Martin N-20 since classical guitars are meant to be played fingerstyle instead of with flat-picks). Willie once commmented it was caused by a little too much Whiskey River. Its soundboard has been signed over the years by over a hundred of Nelson's friends and associates, from fellow musicians to lawyers and football coaches. Nelson has often said that when the hole in Trigger's body makes the guitar unplayable he will retire

The first issue of Guitar Player I ever bought was November 1976 with Roy Buchanan and his '53 Tele (Nancy) on the cover, which spawned a 2 year lust fest until I got my own Tele. There was an interview with Willie and he said Trigger was basically wired together and implied that it could implode at any time.

That was 34 years ago and the old girl is still hanging on.

"Nelson has often said that when the hole in Trigger's body makes the guitar unplayable he will retire"

I watched an interview once with Willie. The guy asked him when he thought he might retire. He said " I play Golf, & I play music, which one do you want me to give up??"

Never seen a classical strap? Willie's is hand made, I think somebody made it for him in the 70s or so, but they are store-bought too. I've got one of the $3 ones that isn't much more than a shoelace with a soundhole clip, but classicals are usually light as air anyway, and I like the idea I can wad it up in my pocket if need be.

gcm3.jpg

I had a mid-60s LG-1 and it had a plastic bridge that was (supposedly) bolted to the top. If this originally had the same it might have been replaced as an upgrade, or some from the same era may have come with this bridge.

Brad

Archived