Gibson Brands Forums

Lake Placid Blue

djroge1

So I was at the local GC today because I needed one of those amp stands... you know so the sound doesn't go straight to my ankles.

Anyway, I was looking thru the used gear and they had a Lake Placid Blue Telecaster with a maple neck/fretboard for $299.

I'm not to up on the varieties of Fender's tele line so I know of no other details - where it was made, year etc...

It played ok but the strings were a lot thinner than I like.

I'm thinking about going back and buying it but I'd have to charge it and I'm trying to not charge any thing.... I don't know? Any thoughts or opinions?

Get it. You can figure out the details later.

Look at the bridge pickup. Is it staggered or flat pole. You should know this.

I found that the flat-pole pickups are a lot better in my opinion. Not that the staggered are bad.

My Special Run 60th Anniversary Telecaster has Custom Shop '51 Nocaster Pickups in it. They're flat-pole pickups and they sound hotter, brighter with more midrange fire.

My American Vintage '62 Telecaster Custom has staggered, American Vintage pickups in it. Jingley-Jangley tones. There is a difference.

The flat-pole pickups can be put closer to the strings which allows for some Buchanon-esque sounds. You may appreciate this.

For that price, you have to ask yourself, "Made in Mexico?"

It's probably a Made in Mexico Standard Tele - that's the only tele outside of CS stuff that's offered in that color (at least right now). Look at the serial number - if it starts MZ it's a 2000s instrament, MN = 1990s. The first digit after the letters is the year ie MZ0=2000, MZ1 = 2001 etc. (roughly anyhow there's some carryover between years). Standard strings are 9-42s. Originally had a gig bag. MSRP for new is $689.99.

I did some quick checking and that color is pretty much for standards. I don't remember or bother looking at the pup poles nor the serial number. I sort of figured I would forget the SN by the time I got home.

I live around 20 miles from GC now so I don't think I'll make the trip tonight. MF has them new for $499. right now so $299 may be a decent deal.

Anyone have any experience talking them down? Do they deal on used gear?

Buy it. Under 300 for a mex tele that plays nice is a great deal. Then drop in some better quality pups and your on your way.

I have a sunburst std. which I put fender noiseless pups in . Took away much of the unwanted hum. My luthier told me if I ever wanted to sell it call him first. He loves it.

IMG_0641-1.jpg

Archived