Gibson Brands Forums

Musical instrument stores in Toronto

Nic LP

Hi everyone.

I'll be in Toronto soon for week end time and I would like to take a little time to check out guitars shops. Of course, I'm looking for Les Paul guitars, new or used.

Any adresses beside Steve's ??

Thanks

Nice!A fellow torontonian! There are a couple of Long and Mcquades in the area;

925 Bloor Street West, Toronto

900 Rathburn Road West, Mississauga

273 Bloor Street West, Toronto

Steve's is very good, I go there frequently, but there's not much, you might have to drive around downtown to find something. sorry for lack of help [sad]

Yup' date=' LA sucks now!

LA is in Mississauga. If you do go there, also check out The Guitar Shop across the street from them.[/quote']

I agree. IMO, it's the only guitar store to shop in. I first visited it in November and since then have been back and Brent has treated me very, very well in person, by e-mail and by phone.

The 12th Fret often has cool vintage stuff that no one else has.

Tim turned me onto LA Music...Ill admit they have some great gear in the store, but I know for a fact that both Tim

and myself spent $$$$ at the store, so you figure there would be some customer loyalty.....nope.

They claim they have the lowest price or they will beat anyones.

I called them on it twice. Once for my Fulltone wah pedal, and once for an Orange Tiny Terror. They wouldnt even return my e-mails.

Ill never set foot in there again.

Yeah LA Music used to be great before they expanded and got their new location. They used to have good customer loyalty but with all the new employees, this seems to have died. They were a good "family" type of place before but the more times moves on, they more they seem like Long and McQuade....(Or Guitar Center in the US)

Booourns!!!

^ it's not the new employees, it's the owner's son - Mike. That guy is a complete knob and has no customer loyalty. I dropped a fair bit of money in that store and also referred deepblue to them. The last time I went in there was when I was looking for a Tele. This was just after Fender raised their prices and a Tele Deluxe had just gone up to $1,600. They had three still in the box from before the price increase but Mike told me they couldn't give me the old price (I think it was $1,300). He outright told me his cost was around $1,000 but "the best he could do" was offer me LA's Boxing Week discount of 5%. 5% on a cash purchase?...no thanks. I haven't been back since and won't go back unless I need something small like a speaker cable and can't find it anywhere else. Meanwhile, L&M - the chain store that isn't supposed to give deals - said they didn't have any in stock, would have to order one from Fender, and between 15% - 20% off.

I'm also in Mississauga and besides Long & McQuades, I'd only be going to The Guitar Shop. The guys there are really easy going, they have a great selection, Gibsons, Epiphone, amazing PRS's, Fenders and lots of high end acoustics both Taylor and Martin. LA music gets a bad rep cuz what these guys have mentioned, you can walk in and the people don't care and the girl at front desk is the worst. If you're able to check out the 12th fret you should. It's over on the Danforth which is a cool part of Toronto in its own right and they have all kinds of guitars in there, many of which are on consignment and they'll usually get the sellers to knock the prices down.

Are Nine, are you in Mississauga as well?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.... so I've been to Steve's, Long & McQuade and 12 fret.

Long & McQuade is nice, kinda like Italmelodie in Montreal. !2 fret is nice too but there's not much stuff. I found something great at Steve's but the finish was not killing me enough ( wine red ). So sad.

By the way, the salesman at Steve's was just super nice, I think his name is Peter. I would no say the same thing about the guys at 12 fret.

Thanks for the addresses, I almost made a super deal ! It was that close. [blink]

I find the guys at the 12th Fret are often busy. It's a small store and there always seems to be a lot of people in there. They're so busy they often don't even answer the phone and just let it go to voice mail and then return the call when they can.

I think they also get a lot of tire kickers in there too and they know who's serious about buying and who isn't.

Archived