Gibson Brands Forums

Amp Suggestion

Sammich18

So now that I've got some amazing guitars, I'd like to save up and get a nice amp. I have a Spider III(dont use it) and a Vypyr 15(love it). I play my dads Mesa Mark II and Peavey MX when I want a nice clean/light distorted tone. I really like the way tube amps feel, and how theyre so responsive compared to solid state. Now I know the Mark II is an AMAZING amp, but I honestly am not a huge fan of it. For me, a 3 knob EQ, a 5 band EQ, volume and master controls, bright switches and lead knobs make it too complicated to get a tone I like. What I really want is an amp with hardly and controls. All I really care for is volume and tone. I want to be able to use pedals to get the overdrive effects I want. I know about the botique amps( DR Z, Badcat, ect.ect.) That are kinda expensive, but are there any cheaper good sounding tube amps with just plain ol' volume and tone?

I've heard there is an amp called Apostle Tone Amps but their wait time is like forever because he is new and is actually in the RD stages.... but I hear they are awesome!

In fact his first amp which is currently in durability testing phase is exactly that - 1 vol and 1 tone control. 12" speaker and around 10 watts.

It's called the Apostle Paul.

I've heard there is an amp called Apostle Tone Amps but their wait time is like forever because he is new and is actually in the RD stages.... but I hear they are awesome!

In fact his first amp which is currently in durability testing phase is exactly that - 1 vol and 1 tone control. 12" speaker and around 10 watts.

It's called the Apostle Paul.

Hmmm..angel10.gif

That are kinda expensive' date=' but are there any cheaper good sounding tube amps with just plain ol' volume and tone?[/quote']

VOX AC30, mine has 2 blendable channels, and one of them only has a gain knob (leaving the tone cut to the master section).

There's the brian may version too, it only sports a volume knob and that's it (it's a little expensive tho).

There are a couple of fenders with really simple panels.

Most of the cheap low wattage tube amps come with volume and tone only.

What are you going to DO with it? Bedroom practice, "Weekend warrior" band..etc.?

What's your (realistic) budget? What are you volume/wattage needs? Combo, 1/2 Stack,

Full Stack? Lots of great amps, out there, these days. Best thing to do, is go "shopping"

and play through a Bunch. Non-botique possibilities: Fender, Vox, Marshall, Orange, Gibson,

Epiphone, Crate, Traynor, Egnator, Peavey, on and on... Just "Google" their web-sites.

Most come in a variety of sizes, wattage, and speaker configurations...combo, 1/2 Stacks,

and even Full Stacks.

I can't possibly know what sounds best, to Your ears...so amp buying, like guitar buying, is

really a personal need/choice, kind of thing.

Good Luck, and good hunting!

CB

Blues Jr.'s are great...and so is it's "little brother" the Pro Jr. 15 watts (all tube), 10" speaker,

Volume and tone control! That's it. Blues Jr. is 15 watts, as well...but has 12" speaker, and spring reverb,

as well as clean and distortion (panel switch). Has Master Volume, volume, treble, middle, bass, reverb

controls, and foot switch, for distortion/boost.

CB

I still think the best all-around tube amp' date=' for pickin' and carryin' and carryin' on, is the F Deluxe Reverb.

It even handles solo gigs pretty well.

Wish I had mine back.

m

[/quote']

Great Amps! But, new one's are 1000 bucks, anymore. Maybe a good used one, for

600+? But, they are great, for sure!

CB

Charlie...

Yup you're right about the price tag which is why I ain't got one any more. Traded it for the 90-pounder that sounds awfully good and has enough noise to kill varmints at 100 yards.

Darn it.

m

I hear ya....I'm gigging with a Blues Jr., and it's plenty (sometimes even too much) volume,

for the bars and small clubs we play in, anymore. If I need more, I have a HR Deluxe, and

and old 1980 Twin Reverb (135 watt, master volume version). Both are Sweet souding, but

very loud! LOL! However, they're great to have, IF/when I need them.

CB

So now that I've got some amazing guitars' date=' I'd like to save up and get a nice amp. I have a Spider III(dont use it) and a Vypyr 15(love it). I play my dads Mesa Mark II and Peavey MX when I want a nice clean/light distorted tone. I really like the way tube amps feel, and how theyre so responsive compared to solid state. Now I know the Mark II is an AMAZING amp, but I honestly am not a huge fan of it. For me, a 3 knob EQ, a 5 band EQ, volume and master controls, bright switches and lead knobs make it too complicated to get a tone I like. What I really want is an amp with hardly and controls. All I really care for is volume and tone. I want to be able to use pedals to get the overdrive effects I want. I know about the botique amps( DR Z, Badcat, ect.ect.) That are kinda expensive, but are there any cheaper good sounding tube amps with just plain ol' volume and tone?[/quote']

I guess you will have to decide which ones sound best to you... but some suggestions (low wattage, not too expensive with some exeptions) to look at would be:

Fender: Pro Junior, ´57 Champ, Blues Junior

Epiphone: Valve Junior

Blackheart: Little Giant

Orange: Tiny Terror

Vox: Nighttrain, AC4TV8, AC15

Marshall: Class 5, Haze (15W Head)

Hughes & Kettner: Edition Tube 25th anniversary (or a Statesman?)

Jet City Amplification: Jet City Amplification 112RC

Does anyone have experience with the Fender Hotrod Deluxe or Deville?

I beieve neo is very impressed by them.

I've played a few, I loved em all. It was a while ago so sorry I cant give you more detail I just remember loving em.

Yeah I see them all the time on Craigslist and they're right in my price range. Im looking for versatility.

They are ALWAYS on Craigslist in my area. Some great deals too.

Which model are you looking at?

My amp looked brand new when I bought it. That will probably change.

I own a Blues Jr. a Hot Rod Deluxe, and a Twin Reverb. The HR Deluxe is an Amazing amp...that I just Love.

However, in the places I play, anymore, it's overkill. ("Too Loud")..at it's sweet spot. But, in larger venues,

outdoors, or with more tolerant bar/club owners, it's a great amp! DeVille's, are too, though.

CB

Archived