Gibson Brands Forums

Melodic Minor

djroge1

What is so cool about LC playing here is that only part of the solo are the Melodic Minor scale and you can probably hear it.

What he is doing is playing the MM 1/2 step above the V chord (in a I - IV - V pattern). This has a heavy sound leading back down into the I chord.

So if this was in "A" the chords would be A - D - E and he would play the MM scale in "F" when resting on the E chord. Pretty cool. (Likewise you can hear a D# scale when on the D chord because it is acting like a V chord.)

What is so cool about LC playing here is that only part of the solo are the Melodic Minor scale and you can probably hear it.

What he is doing is playing the MM 1/2 step above the V chord (in a I - IV - V pattern). This has a heavy sound leading back down into the I chord.

So if this was in "A" the chords would be A - D - E and he would play the MM scale in "F" when resting on the E chord. Pretty cool. (Likewise you can hear a D# scale when on the D chord because it is acting like a V chord.)

This single post has given me a lot to chew on.

Lets say you were building a 6th out of the Melodic Minor scale, A, C, E, F#. Is that an Am6th or Am#6 or A "melodic minor" 6th?

• 2 months later...

Yeah, it looks like a (Tonic)- 2(M2)-1(m3)-2(4)-2(5)-1(m6)-2(M7)-1(tonic) pattern (first # is 1/2 steps).

Calling it a 'lesson' is kind of a stretch, though, don't you think? Basically it's "here, I'm gonna play it. Pick up as much as you can". It's a lesson only in the sense that we can learn something every time we watch somebody better than us play.

Calling it a 'lesson' is kind of a stretch' date=' though, don't you think? Basically it's "here, I'm gonna play it. Pick up as much as you can". It's a lesson only in the sense that we can learn something every time we watch somebody better than us play.

[/quote']

You need to get the DVD and watch the whole thing. They only have one part in the clip and in this scene he is introducing using the MM scale into a blues progression. The lessons go in order building on each other and this one is towards the end of the DVD.

Archived