Gibson Brands Forums

buckethead V paul gilbert...

S t e v e

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Speaking of which Mr. Joshlay...why do you not have a PGM in your Ibanez collection? Europe has all the good colors and finishes. One of these days' date=' I will have one in my arsenal.[/quote']

hey mojo, i would like a PGM but funds are tight at the moment and the missus says i have enough guitars already [woot], i'm after a new amp before i buy any more guitars but maybe one day..., and if i did buy the PGM it would be in plain old white [thumbup]

Doesn't Mr. Head's work remind you so much of background music?

You mean Incidental Music' date=' like the music that is played in the background of movies. Music that's written by people like Mozart, John Williams, Danny Elfman, John Carpenter, and in some cases Jimmy Page (Death Wish 2 or 3, I forget).

That was the biggest compliment I've seen Buckethead get, ever. [laugh[lol]

It has to flow and be seemless. Music is very mathematical. I can't really explain it. When I listen to BH' date=' I hear a bunch of random notes that don't go together. Very rarely a groove. Same way I read other people here rip on Jazz guitar.

There was one sng the almost got me excited. it just never got going anywhere.

And believe me when I say I really did listen to the BH songs. Some of them more than once to give him a more than fair chance.[/quote']

Really? I like most types of music Buckethead does, from this:

to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0bfhD4abCo

to this:

And in my opinion, most of it grooves. What I don't like is stuff like this:

Some of his songs take a long time to grow on me. There's this one album, "Inbred Mountain". I didn't like it much at first because it's very experimental. Now I love it. I mean, this song is genious:

And now you're saying music is very mathematical? You were complaining before that Buckethead's music lacks soul and is too technical. Now you're saying it's not mathematical. Isn't math technical? Or is math soulful?

Music doesn't require math. Many people don't learn theory but can play and write by ear. Music is an art, you've got to remember that.

You mean Incidental Music' date=' like the music that is played in the background of movies. Music that's written by people like Mozart, John Williams, Danny Elfman, John Carpenter, and in some cases Jimmy Page (Death Wish 2 or 3, I forget).

That was the biggest compliment I've seen Buckethead get, ever. :) :) [/quote']

+1, a compliment indeed.

You know it's interesting that Demonknight brought that up. Bucket has recorded a lot of incidental music for football game broadcasts/movies etc. Next time you're watching the footy on TV, chances are, the guy playing guitar in the background is Bucket.

The latest movie his music appeared in was Bruno.

When I listen to BH' date=' I hear a bunch of random notes that don't go together. Very rarely a groove. [/quote']

I don't know what albums you were listening to, but your description is the polar opposite of a lot of his music.

What album did you listen to? Or was it just youtube videos?

[quote name=mcmurray

I don't know what albums you were listening to' date=' but your description is the polar opposite of a lot of his music.

What album did you listen to? Or was it just youtube videos?[/quote]

A whole bunch of youtube.

Mr. Loaf....I never said BH wasn't technical.

I'm thowing in the towel. I'm not arguing BH anymore. I never said he was bad. In fact comparing him to any other guitar player is a waste of time. He's not like most and that's why people like him. I get it. He does nothing for me. End of discussion.

If anyone wishes to discuss why you like PG with me, by all means continue or send me a PM.

+1' date=' a compliment indeed.

You know it's interesting that Demonknight brought that up. Bucket has recorded a [i']lot[/i] of incidental music for football game broadcasts/movies etc. Next time you're watching the footy on TV, chances are, the guy playing guitar in the background is Bucket.

The latest movie his music appeared in was Bruno.

Really? I knew he recorded incidental music but I haven't heard it in any football games. That will give me a reason to watch them.[biggrin] It's Austrailian football? I'm not familiar with that. I know Night of the Slunk is in an episode of My Name is Earl and the album, Giant Robot 2, was composed as music for movies/tv shows.

Archived