Gibson Brands Forums

Un-quitting

Cruznolfart

I jammed with some old friends yesterday. First time I'd played with them. First time I jammed with my bass. Matter of fact, it was the first time in several years that I'd jammed for any length of time at all with real players. These guys are 3 brothers who've been playing for 40 or more years, and have their own 24 track studio.

We just made stuff up as we went along, although there was one barely recognizable version of "Walking the Dog" that was more fun than musical.

I'd forgotten how uplifting it is to jam with peeps that don't have to be taught anything. I want some more! [rolleyes]

I jammed with some old friends yesterday. First time I'd played with them. First time I jammed with my bass. Matter of fact' date=' it was the first time in several years that I'd jammed for any length of time at all with real players. These guys are 3 brothers who've been playing for 40 or more years, and have their own 24 track studio.

We just made stuff up as we went along, although there was one barely recognizable version of "Walking the Dog" that was more fun than musical.

I'd forgotten how uplifting it is to jam with peeps that don't have to be taught anything. I want some more! [thumbup

Man... I envy you. I'd LOVE to be able to Jam with some guys from time to time, (I just don't want to be in a band!). I jam with my BIL and nephews, but I tend to have to "lead" the whole thing...I'd like to just play bass with some good musicians and try to get my chops back.

Congratz... Let us hear ya'll once you get up to speed.

Man... I envy you. I'd LOVE to be able to Jam with some guys from time to time' date=' (I just don't want to be in a band!). I jam with my BIL and nephews, but I tend to have to "lead" the whole thing...I'd like to just play bass with some good musicians and try to get my chops back.

Congratz... Let us hear ya'll once you get up to speed.[/quote']

You just might know or know of these guys, Bob. They moved up here from your area in the 90's. Had a studio in Concord, I believe. Produced a couple albums for Eddie Money, among others. I disremember what they called their business but you might have been familiar with them.

Thanks for the props, it was a very nice day. Looking very forward to the next time. We made a cd of the jam, but I was unaccustomed to the extremely tight pattern on the vocal mic and so can't be heard very well when I'm singing. But it will give me a chance to tighten up/polish my bass patterns for the next go-round.

Not been there' date=' not done that.... And it hurts[crying']

I'm envious man. Honestly. I would love to do that. Playing music with others is something you can't quite compare to any other feeling, I know. Keep on rocking... (in a free world preferrably! [thumbup] )

Hector, what's keeping you from hooking up? I just got to where I stayed "too busy" much of the time and, honestly, that's BS. These guys have been after me for 10 years to come out to their studio. I don't know WHAT took me so long. But I'm not doing that to myself again. I won't make excuses for NOT making music. Hope you can find someone to kick it with.

I really missed jammin with folks when I was out in Seattle...now I am back and I have a chance to jam with my old band occasionally (just for fun...not reforming though)

There's a really cool energy when you get together with people you jive with....

Very definitely! Like an old pair of gloves or slippers' date=' everything just fits, you don't have to think about or explain anything. Nothing compares. Glad to hear you're able to get in some playing time now, Shred, it's good for you. (keeps us from going effin' NUTS!) [thumbup

Sounds fun cruzn. Unfortunatley there arent many "musicians" around here as much as teens who play 5 minutes of guitar a week' date=' so I'm on my own for now.[/quote']

It's immeasurably fun, Dom; nothing compares. Now I've had one of the tunes we improvised in my head all day, gonna hafta do some more "work" on it. I can take it. [biggrin]

Bummer about not having anyone you can hook up with, though. Have you considered possibilities other than school-mates? Might be some slightly older players that wouldn't mind an occasional stand-in in their jam. Check with local instructors to see if they have students who need/want jamming partners. Gotta be someone out there you'd click with, at least for awhile.

That's great Cruzn! I love jammin with good player. I like jammin with average players for that matter. Good Time and Good Feelings.

Say Dom, go jam with some old guys. That's what I did at your age and gathered a wealth of technique in a short time. Stuff you'll never get from books, mags, or even lessons.

Hector' date=' what's keeping you from hooking up? I just got to where I stayed "too busy" much of the time and, honestly, that's BS. These guys have been after me for 10 years to come out to their studio. I don't know WHAT took me so long. But I'm not doing that to myself again. I won't make excuses for NOT making music. Hope you can find someone to kick it with.[/quote']

Thanks for the encouragement Cruz (which I really need & appreciate) but at the moment, and under the ''circumstances'', I don't even find time for some home practise... Tough times!

You just might know or know of these guys' date=' Bob. They moved up here from your area in the 90's. Had a studio in Concord, I believe. Produced a couple albums for Eddie Money, among others. I disremember what they called their business but you might have been familiar with them.

Thanks for the props, it was a very nice day. Looking very forward to the next time. We made a cd of the jam, but I was unaccustomed to the extremely tight pattern on the vocal mic and so can't be heard very well when I'm singing. But it will give me a chance to tighten up/polish my bass patterns for the next go-round.[/quote']

Ask them if they remember Barry Carlos of Baytown Records. Barry was our manager back in the 60's. I still talk to Barry on a regular basis.

If you get their names I may well know them. They may remember Peter Wheat from back then too.

Good luck...and let us hear how it sounds when you're ready!!

Archived