Gibson Brands Forums

I finally saw "It Might Get Loud" on DVD

Notes_Norton

I finally saw "It Might Get Loud" on DVD

Impressions:

1) Although I don't like his singing, nor the "White Stripes" Jack is a capable guitar player

2) Jimmy Page is still one of the best

3) Edge plays the effects quite well

4) The camera should have spent more time on the gutarist's hands - I care more about what the guitarist is doing with his hands than what his face looks like

5) The deleted scenes had some of the best music

6) I didn't care for the editing style

7) The commentary was actually very good

Anyway, I'm glad I waited for it to be released on Netflix, because I thought the DVD extras were worth.

Insights and incites by Notes

I was totally impressed with Edge's use of the effects - not that his guitar playing was shabby - but the elaborate use of the effects for musical expression is something else again.

I liked the attitude Jimmy and Edge much better than Jack. Jack seemed to be "on stage" a bit too much for me, while Edge and Jimmy were just plain folks who didn't let their expertise on the guitar go to their heads.

But they are older and more experienced than Jack, and perhaps he will mellow in time. Every once in a while he seemed to let his guard down and be normal.

I've had the good fortune to warm up for and meet many famous musicians, and by and large, most of them are quite normal people when they step off the stage. And I like that.

Back to the film.

I do wish the camera crew showed the guitarist's hands more when they were playing, and I wish the musical clips were much longer. But I guess they didn't make the film for me.

Now I can't wait for "The Wrecking Crew" to come out on DVD.

Insights and incites by Notes

I agree.

More hand shots, and more discussion on the gear they started with and rely on.

The fleeting glimpses of Page's gear were frustrating!

I never regarded White as anything more than a guitar-playing Johnny Depp clone.

The movie changed my mind.

Oh, he's still a freak but the movie allowed some insight to his madness.

Edge and his effects always left me cold, but it was still a good take on what he does.

Page could be reading the phone book and I'd pay good money to see it.

I can see being "on stage" when you are on a talk show, but when you are talking to other musicians, it's time to get real.

Ah, but that's my own personal philosophy. Nobody else is required to feel the same way.

I didn't know about Page's career as a session guitarist before the film. And I though it very fortunate that he moved into a home that had a guitar in it, and decided to give it a try.

Notes

Yeah, that's how Page knew JP Jones - from session work.

He was sort of a reluctant Rock Star, not really keen on joining the Yardbirds.

Funny how that all turned into a "business opportunity" with him gaining legal control of the name.

Serendipity.

The Edge is an interesting case. He would be completely out of his element doing a blues jam' date=' but he is a perfect fit for U2. With any other band, I don't think he would have been successful.[/quote']

I agree. I also think that it must be really boring playing the way that he does. I would never try and imitate his playing style, it would drive me nuts.

Archived