Gibson Brands Forums

British Know-how

onewilyfool

We've never had a problem with drinking vessels being used as weapons in bar fights around here. I guess it's because no one has ever figured out how to use a plastic funnel and two feet of acrylic tubing as a weapon, so far...

Cheers!

Rick...[biggrin]

The beer industry in the US has been trying to segue their glass bottle product to plastic bottles for years. The advantage is... yes you cannot turn it into as lethal a weapon as a glass bottle, but the weight of these bottles has to be trucked from the bottle blower, to the bottler, to the distributor, to the retail outlet (bars and liquor stores). All that weight adds up and adds higher transportation costs to the bottled beers. It is also a load off the sports arena beer hawkers as well as they can haul lighter boxes of beer up and down the stands or more bottles per trip.

Unfortunately, the public just won't buy it. The buying public 'believes' it negatively affects the flavor of the beer. [blink] That argument, I ain't buying. [blink]

The bottlers need to get together and all decide to cut over to plastic bottles at once, so the choice is beer in a plastic bottle or no beer....

Shut-up and drink your beer. [blink]

The buying public 'believes' it negatively affects the flavor of the beer. [blink] That argument' date=' I ain't buying. [blink] [/quote']

I'm not exactly a "cork sniffer", but even I can taste the difference between Coke in a glass bottle and Coke in plastic.

Supposedly, plastic is a less stable substance than glass. Plastic molecules separate from the bottle, entering the drink, and can be tasted. At least that's how it was explained to me... [blink]

I have a good friend and fellow Chartered Accountant I see once or twice a month. We used to have a pint or two in a fantastic old pub, just off Carnaby Street in London and talk over pressing accountancy issues.

It was always a pleasure to be able to collect a couple of pints of Badger Best Bitter and wander outside for a smoke and an oggle at the great and good of The West End. London in summertime is a wonderful place to be.

Then the landlady insisted that, if we wished to adjourn to the pavement, we must take plastic glasses, "'elf an' safety luv".

I can see her point.

Two suited CA's, one in his late 40s, the other in his late 50s, getting themselves all worked up over the sudoku (killer) in The Times or discussing "How good is Kevin Peitersen?"

It would only take 1 American tourist (see note) to look at us in the wrong way, (as he innocently made his way to another famous London street thinking to himself, "I can see why Jimi liked it here so much") and there would be broken glass and blood spilled, everywhere. I, for one, would not wish for this to happen. Dry cleaning works for beer, but you will never get blood out of a silk tie you know!

So we drink elsewhere now. Badger is a great pint but not from a plastic pot!

New Labour Nanny State Bollocks at work again.

NOTE: Could be Canadian of course!

I have a good friend and fellow Chartered Accountant I see once or twice a month. We used to have a pint or two in a fantastic old pub' date=' just off Carnaby Street in London and talk over pressing accountancy issues.

New Labour Nanny State Bollocks at work again.

[i']

NOTE: Could be Canadian of course![/i]

Drawing both Politics and Foul langauge into the Acoustic forum should result in your being severly "moderated"

If Therm were about, and in the right/wrong mood he would extract your goolies with one withering phrase!!

Shame on you

Albert John' date=' JohnT.....will you PLEASE speak English???!!![/quote']

I think I've been reading too many of their posts. I actually understand about 90% of them, now. Geez, maybe I'll apply for a job at the U.N. as a translator.

I have a good friend and fellow Chartered Accountant...and wander outside for a smoke...It would only take 1 American tourist (see note) to look at us in the wrong way' date=' (as he innocently made his way to another famous London street thinking to himself, "I can see why Jimi liked it here so much") and there would be broken glass and blood spilled, everywhere. I, for one, would not wish for this to happen. Dry cleaning works for beer, but you will never get blood out of a silk tie you know![i']NOTE: Could be Canadian of course![/i]

WTF is this? I'll tell you what, mate, you and your smoking and drinking buddy ought to bear in mind that sometimes American tourists (and Canadians) show up in London who are people that you don't want to know about.

For example, I don't drink or smoke, I can win my age group in a 10K run, and I can probably pick up the back end of your car and do curls with it. And I'm a retired special warfare operator, not an accountant. And my wife has family over there.

In this day and age, if I was walking down the street in Karach...er, I mean LONDON, and two people suddenly jumped on me, it would be a very bad thing. They taught me all sorts of ugliness during my military career.

So you and your pal might want to either grow up or find a different way to make yourselves feel like your gear is bigger before you jump on the wrong American (or Canadian) tourist and get the surprise of your Chartered Accountant lives!

And kindly don't stink up the forum with these aggressive, anti-American rants.

Cheers!

Rick...[lol]

WTF is this? I'll tell you what' date=' mate, you and your smoking and drinking buddy ought to bear in mind that sometimes American tourists (and Canadians) show up in London who are people that you don't want to know about.

For example, I don't drink or smoke, I can win my age group in a 10K run, and I can probably pick up the back end of your car and do curls with it. And I'm a retired special warfare operator, not an accountant. And my wife has family over there.

In this day and age, if I was walking down the street in Karach...er, I mean LONDON, and two people suddenly jumped on me, it would be a very bad thing. They taught me all sorts of ugliness during my military career.

So you and your pal might want to either grow up or find a different way to make yourselves feel like your gear is bigger before you jump on the wrong American (or Canadian) tourist and get the surprise of your Chartered Accountant lives!

And kindly don't stink up the forum with these aggressive, anti-American rants.

Cheers!

Rick...[biggrin

I thought this thread was about bar fights - did I miss something?

I very much doubt too many (in USA and Canada) took offence, but for those of you who did, and particularly to you Oubaas, you have my apologies.

No intent.

It was a joke!!

Now we cut to the Benny Hill music and see albertjohn being chased by Oubaas and a couple of bikini girls all holding plastic Pint mugs of ale !

Do -do -do da do ....do do do da do ....da da da da ta da

Hilarity ensues !!!!

Listen, he'd never catch me. I'm a match for anyone at those double speed snake moves.

Especially if there's a pint and bikini clad girls at stake.

I think I've been reading too many of their posts. I actually understand about 90% of them' date=' now. Geez, maybe I'll apply for a job at the U.N. as a translator.[/quote']

Shouldn't that be "Jeez" old chap?

Ah, well, the joke's on me then! Gomen nasai!

I guess I spent too many years living in Africa after I retired from the military, where having someone jump on you in the street was a daily possibility. Should have known, too. I worked with the British quite a few times during my years in uniform, and I'm actually married to a subject of the realm.

I guess I'll have to buy you all a pint or two next time I see you.

But look at it this way, who do you want guarding the henhouse at night while the chickens sleep, someone like me, or Mr. Rogers? I've actually mellowed out a lot since I retired! Maybe I should spend more time around people and a little less around horses. And not read forums until I've had my morning coffee.

Oh, and btw, it is "jeez" instead of "geez".

Unless you call jail, "gaol"...

Cheers!

Rick...#-o[thumbup]

Ah' date=' well, the joke's on me then! [i']Gomen nasai![/i]

I guess I spent too many years living in Africa after I retired from the military, where having someone jump on you in the street was a daily possibility. Should have known, too. I worked with the British quite a few times during my years in uniform, and I'm actually married to a subject of the realm.

I guess I'll have to buy you all a pint or two next time I see you.

But look at it this way, who do you want guarding the henhouse at night while the chickens sleep, someone like me, or Mr. Rogers? I've actually mellowed out a lot since I retired! Maybe I should spend more time around people and a little less around horses. And not read forums until I've had my morning coffee.

Oh, and btw, it is "jeez" instead of "geez".

Unless you call jail, "gaol"...

Cheers!

Rick...[cool][wink]

I'd be very happy to buy you a beer too Oubass. Sometimes my trains of thought do go off at tangents and even I struggle to make sense of stuff.

Two mature gentlemen of a noble profession can't be trusted to sup their beer from a glass - it's mad!

Assaulting Americans (or Canadians) with a plastic pint pot is a disciplinary offence as a CA although I cannot speak for my accountancy colleagues in Africa.

I'm grateful that the like of you are guarding the henhouse. I'll count the beans.

Anyway, I always wanted to be a loin tamer..................................................

Archived