Gibson Brands Forums

strat

sexybeast14

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How does a traitor fall?

Just messing with you.

You're a traitor if you stick to 1 kind of guitar.

Pshh....Whilst I live with my parents...I can only get one more electric....Till that limitation is gone....screw Fender....I have too much Gibson Acquisition Syndrome to focus on fenders...

However...if I didn't,

A classic Black strat with maple neck would be for me......stick in some clapton electronics, and we're good to go...

Or even the grey in the american standard series

Neo' date=' how are those P-90's, I have an HSS Strat that I really like and a HH Tele and I'm seriously GASing for something with P-90's. I never thought about putting them in a Strat.[/quote']

Try the Strat-o-sonic. Fender released them a few years ago. 2 P-90s w/ 3 way toggle. RW, 22 frets, in either burgundy or yellow (kinda mustardy). wrap around tailpiece. Jazzmaster style headstock painted black. Sounds sexy.

Found a pic.

Stratosonic.jpg

Also comes in a single PU model.

THAT is what I wanted originally, they didn't build very many.

I almost bought one from Guitar Center, they wouldn't budge on the price - over $1k.

I wavered back and forth for a couple months, found out later that they blew it out for $600.

I still want one....

On Ebay, the prices stayed higher than I liked, so I did some research.

Those pickups were available from Fender, so I bought a pair and assembled my Ash Strat with them.

That guitar gets plenty of attention at gigs, all my friends LOVE playing it.

Mike and Stu at Bizarre Guitar told me they were first in line if I ever sold it.

It just clicked for some reason, a very cool guitar.

Recsec, you owe it to yourself to get your hands on those pickups.

Put them in something - anything - if you can't buy the Strat O Sonic.

The Guild Blues Bird has Seymour Duncan P-90's - much different tone.

Very hot, very thin sounding when cranked - hard to tell from a ceramic mini-humbucker.

I don't know how much of it is due to the chambered Les Paul-ish body or just higher output.

There are some people out there who just don't get it with a Strat.

Since that's what I started out on, I think I was more open to different subtle tones.

That's why I have so mant different guitars, they're all different.

Not much variety if all you own is a Les Paul and an SG with humbuckers.

THAT is what I wanted originally' date=' they didn't build very many.

I almost bought one from Guitar Center, they wouldn't budge on the price - over $1k.

I wavered back and forth for a couple months, found out later that they blew it out for $600.

I still want one....

On Ebay, the prices stayed higher than I liked, so I did some research.

Those pickups were available from Fender, so I bought a pair and assembled my Ash Strat with them.

That guitar gets plenty of attention at gigs, all my friends LOVE playing it.

[/quote']

I was on the fence when they came out. No body had them in the stores though. I think it's purdy. I am too scared to buy guitars on ebay unless they are local.

There are some people out there who just don't get it with a Strat.

Since that's what I started out on' date=' I think I was more open to different subtle tones.

That's why I have so mant different guitars, they're all different.

[/quote']

I can appreciate what you're saying, and modding a Strat with different pups can make a subtle but glorious difference in the sound, but a Strat with single coil pups still sounds like a Strat. And it all really boils down to what type of sound you're going after.

Everyone should own one, but for my money, I prefer an LP. I have an American Standard Strat with a maple neck. If I were to buy another one, I'd consider a rosewood or ebony fretboard. Also, I don't like the feel of the Strat neck compared to my Gibsons, and the tremelos on the stock Strat can be a problem.

Modding a Strat with different pups can indeed make a subtle but glorious difference in the sound.

A Strat with single coils still sounds like a Strat and it all really does boil down to what type of sound I'm after.

I've noticed that with the volume rolled way down, the all sound very Strat -ish.

As you start turning it up, the pickup's personality takes over - but you can still hear the Strat snap in the tone.

Everyone should own one for the variety, and I wonder if some people realize just how much Strats are used in

most of the music they've heard over the last 40 years. It's everywhere, especially rhythm stuff.

As much as I love 'em (and as many as I've owned) I still wouldn't say prefer an Les Paul over all the others.

I have American Strats with Maple and Rosewood neck, never could tell a difference in the tone.

I even swapped necks among guitars with different pickups, blindfolded I don't know if I could tell them apart.

I have a preference for the Maple neck, but I don't know that I could categorically declare why.

I wish Ebony fretboards were an option on a Strat. Would be a cool up-market option, eh?

As far as the feel of the Strat neck compared to my Gibsons, it's just different.

Often not as smoothly finished since there's no binding.

And the tremelos on the stock Strat are pretty much worthless in my opinion - proper set up helps alot.

I thought I saw an ebony fretboard on a Strat. I'd love to see that as an option.

I have to admit that I don't know much about the different necks that are available on each model of Gibsons or Fenders, but compared to my other guitars, the neck on my Strat feels like I'm holding the business end of a baseball bat. That's not necessarily bad, just takes getting used to.

Yeah, don't fxck around.

If you get a Strat, don't look at ANYTHING but the American Standard.

Maybe the Deluxe, to get a few more options, but the different heel makes it harder to swap a neck.

It's not like you're talking about a lot of money, $1,000 will buy all the Strat you could ever need.

The Mexican stuff is decent too, but resale value will SUCK. And all you save is a couple hundred bucks?

Not worth it.

Even if you stick with Gibsons and it's not your Number One, a Strat is a good guitar to have around.

Even if you rarely play it, you'll still find times that it just clicks in your hands.

I thought I saw an ebony fretboard on a Strat. I'd love to see that as an option.

I have to admit that I don't know much about the different necks that are available on each model of Gibsons or Fenders' date=' but compared to my other guitars, the neck on my Strat feels like I'm holding the business end of a baseball bat. That's not necessarily bad, just takes getting used to.[/quote']

The Strat Ultra had ebony as an option. Good luck finding one though. The ultra and plus were the top of the line Fenders back in their day.

My dad's Strat has an ebony fretboard. Very tight-grained. I can't say I hear a difference but I can certainly feel that it's ebony.

I forgot what the model is called. I think it might be an American Standard. It has a humbucker at the bridge and that button on the volume knob. I honestly would prefer all single coils. And I think there's something wrong with it right now. There's no sound when it's at the bridge position. It's the same colour as Rocket's. I believe it's called "Burnt Sienna". It's a few years old.

It's a really nice guitar though. Feels, sounds, and looks great. It's a really beautiful guitar.

My dad's Strat has an ebony fretboard. Very tight-grained.

Yeah' date=' Ebony is usually very tight-grained and uniform in texture.

I like it a lot.

that button on the volume knob.

That's called S-1 switching.

I honestly would prefer all single coils.

You can have it with S-1 switching.

And I think there's something wrong with it right now.

There's no sound when it's at the bridge position.

S-1 switching.

[angry]

Should be a simple fix.

That's what I understood, though I don't recall how it works exactly.

Check out the Fender site and see what it tells ya.

They've made them since about 2004-2005.

That's the downside to coil taps, phase switching and such - complicates the signal path.

The more wires, switches and soldered terminals you have, the greater the odds of failure.

I prefer to keep it simple - volume, tone, selector and a good quality jack.

Archived