Gibson Brands Forums

Need Some Constructive Criticism

SGplayer1994

First I'd like to thank anybody who took the time to visit this thread. I was messing around with my band this morning and we came up with something we really liked. I don't like the end of the solo, but it was just an improvisation. We have lyrics for the song, but we just are looking for a good vocalist. I just want to hear from some experienced peers what YOU would do to make the song better. We want to play at a local battle of the bands type thing this October and we picked this song. Once again, any help is appreciated. Here is a link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il83d68_f14

PS: I know our stage presence is a bit lacking, but it's only a morning practice, we shot it around 9 AM which is kinda early for us [biggrin].

I really like it!!!! The song has a Ozzy Suicide Solution vibe to it[cool]

The drummer has a very good meter.

Both guitar players need to tune their instruments a little more precisely, but no big deal.

The lead was fantastic.

Both guitar players can work on not staring at the neck so much and look forward. When you play live, you'll want to make eye contact with the people that are watching you play.

Both guitar players have a good sense of timing.

Over-all I give you guys a B[cool]

Thanks! That truly means a lot to me coming from an experienced player. I definitely will work on the whole eye contact thing, but it was raining so we couldn't move much and I think it looks odd to stare at the camera. Not exactly sure how to fix the whole tuning issue, but I'll work on it. I hear that the Gibson SG's are notorious for tuning issues. I don't know if Grovers will help a lot or not. But thank you for your time and input!

Practice in front of a mirror. You can still see the neck for chord changes but it trains you to look forward when you play.

Get a longer cable, or move your Wah to where you are playing so you don't have to walk over behind the drummer for that awesome lead.

I think you've got everything else covered.

Well done man!

Nice Lead and Lead Tone! Like the riffs and the energy, and your drummer is really good. Your playing is tight and the tuning wasn't out by that much, the only criticism I'd have, and it's a little nit picky, would be to add a bridge to the song, or a turn around of some sort. Ya know, something that willtake the listener by surprise. That's just style though, not even necessary. You have a good song as it is, can't wait to hear the lyrics.

And hey, if it's a demo, you don't need a "Good Vocalist", just someone to get the point across. Keep it up, you guys rock.

Turning your back on the camera when you solo so we can't copy your tricks, just like Eddie Van Halen in the old days! I liked it. I would say to shorten the song up a bit. Try to convince the Ibanez player he would make a great bass player. Did you ever experiment with open chords?

Ohhh yes! The great soloing issue haha! That's the first thing my friends on facebook pointed out. My monster cable actually went bad and I had to use my back up cable, which was only a 6 footer [smile]. I kinda got the whole chord thing down, I just found it weird to stare at the camera the whole time, but i would definitely look around in front of a live audience. I just ordered a new 30' long monster rock cable from SweetWater. Thanks for the compliments, I was actually very happy with my tone too, considering how very few effects I used and the fact that I'm playing through a cheap fender amp. Thank you all again!

Turning you back on the camera when you solo so we can't copy your tricks' date=' just like Eddie Van Halen in the old days! I liked it. I would say to shorten the song up a bit. Try to convince the Ibanez player he would make a great bass player. Did you ever experiment with open chords?[/quote']

Ha thats funny i think he used to play bass!

Yeah . . . well done! You rock!

It would be a good idea to try to get used to rehearsing with earplugs in as you can really damage your hearing after some time of noise exposure.

There are lots of different types. I use the ones made by Elacin. They make two Elacin15 and Elacin20 They reduce the sound pressure (noise) level by 15 and 20 dB respectively. These earplugs reduce the sound level uniformly across all frequencies so they are good for musicians. Every body is different and some are more genetically predisposed to noise damage more than others, but I do have tinnitus from playing in bands for years and although it's not really bad for me yet I wish I had known to protect my ears better in the past. They do take a bit of getting used to, so the sooner you start the easier it becomes.

Have fun!!

Excellent! Well freaking done fellas!

You'se can play in tune and kudos to your drummer for adding fills where there should be fills. Dynamics will break it up and add to the atmosphere of what you're all trying to achieve in the song which brings me to the guitars:I cannot hear what the guitarist on the right is playing.Bring him up.Don't care if he's shy.Musos don't play because they wanna be shy.They play because they are shy usually and want to express themselves.Turn him up.

Also,either you or he need to alternate the parts you're are playing.Whether that be and octave higher or picking a muted/or not melody is up to you. But when you both play the same progression it sounds like mud.No definition.OK.

Now go get a bass player,WORK WITH THE DRUMMER more and play 'til your fingers are bleeding.

Then get a singer and ride that song.

Congratulations.[thumbup]

Archived