Gibson Brands Forums

looking for suggestions and knowledge

nickb

Hello! I'm Nick the newbie from TN. I have been reading alot of what is said about Gibson for a while in this forum and thought maybe I could pick your brains for a little help. I have been playing for several years and have owned a few different brands and I am looking for that "go to" guitar. I am currently playing an Alvarez DY62C and really like the action and the way that it fits me. I also own a late 60's Dove that was a gift from my dad. (he's a martin lover) The neck is a little small at the nut for my comfort. I have been doing some looking and am interested in your opinions about the pros and cons of the differences between the Advanced Jumbo and the J45. (Other than the obvious scale differences) I do know that I want Rosewood back and sides. And i know that everyone has a different opinion on what works for them. But would like to know what some of you have to say. Thanks!

Hi nickb and welcome to the forum.

Have you played a songwriter? Rosewood b&s. I love mine and it's certainly my goto guitar. It's not for the traditionalists in many ways. Growly, almost brash with lots of complex overtones. Listen to Dave Grohl when he plays acoustic - alot of that is on a songwriter. Also the bling is not everyone's cup of tea.

I've not played an AJ, but the SWD is a very different beast to a J45 - think dry, woody, Dylan type tones.

Hopefully some others will chime in here.

The newer SJ's & the J45's are very similar guitars.

I started my Gibson search thinking that I wanted a Southern Jumbo Modern Classic. I wanted to be cool like Hank Williams Jr with his sit-down bluesy improv stuff. The sunburst with the split parallelagrams looks sooo cool! Anyway, Gibson doesn't currently offer that model (for some strange reason) but they're still fairly easy to find. I called Gibson & learned that the only real difference between the SJ True Vintage & the SJ Modern Classic was strictly visual. Totally the same on the inside.

My local store had one of the Kristofferson Signature SJ's which is pretty much a std Modern Classic but more expensive. It felt fantastic to play. Comfortable shorter scale & all. They also had a couple of the Advanced Jumbos to try. I picked up a Cocobolo AJ and that thing sounded INCREDIBLE! It did feel much larger overall & the neck really did feel like a baseball bat.. but to each his own. The nut is slightly wider on the AJ but that J45 shorter scale is NICE!

For me, I always struggle in the end with balancing the looks with the sound.. and of course, the playability.

My best advice is to NEVER settle. Study & figure out/decide exactly what you want. Be patient and you will eventually find a way to have it (it will likely find you!). And when you do have it, you'll sleep with a big smile on your face ;-) Priceless!

I've found that you can't conceive and buy the ultimate 'go to' guitar any more than you can give yourself a nickname. The true 'go to' guitar will float to the top naturally. You must go out and buy many guitars. Many of them. More guitars than any human can justify owning. Then after a couple years, the 'go to' guitar will stand apart from the rest by it's cruddy strings, spittle stains on the bass shoulder, and dust on the face of the peghead and around the saddle from it never going back in its case.

And those other guitars will never actually go away, but the pecking order will have been established.

Then after a couple years' date=' the 'go to' guitar will stand apart from the rest by it's cruddy strings, spittle stains on the bass shoulder, and dust on the face of the peghead and around the saddle from it never going back in its case.[/quote']

So what you're saying is the guitar with the most beer spilled on it?

OK, now I know which one is my "go-to guitar!"

I called Gibson & learned that the only real difference between the SJ True Vintage & the SJ Modern Classic was strictly visual. Totally the same on the inside.

My local store had one of the Kristofferson Signature SJ's which is pretty much a std Modern Classic but more expensive.

I couldn't DISAGREE more. :-k

OK, Larryp58 .. I respect your views but could you elaborate on your DISAGREEMENT?

I felt that my best source for actual TRUE info would be the Gibson Custom Shop. Yes, it was indeed quite a task to even talk with a human... but I finally did! I can't help what I was told.

In my opinion, the Kristofferson model was pretty much a normal SJ only with that unique inlay in the 12th fret & some upgraded tuners. Oh yeah, it also had his autograph in silver Sharpie on the pickguard.

I'm not here to offend, I'm here to learn & share. Please teach me something about these models if you know.

I own an AJ and love it to death! I also go into every store I know and play every J45 I can get my hands on and I am here to tell you, they are both fantastic guitars that would and could answer the call to be your "Go To" guitar. Unfortunately as others have said, you won't know which one (and I mean which one of several of BOTH styles you have tried) is going to be the one that stands out in the pack and screams "TAKE ME HOME". I have always found that after trying several, there is one that is waiting for you and only you.

I find the biggest differences (other than the scale length) to be the piano like bass runs and more shimmery highs from the AJ vs the famed Gibson "Thump" that can be brought out with a good J45. To me J45's are a much dryer sounding guitar which excells in blues and accompaning a singer while the AJ stands out as not only the loudest guitar I have owned, but one that excells in darker songs that still require a bit of sustain. Both are excellent for fingerstyle or strumming. It just depends on what your looking for in tone. That should help narrow your search down some.

OK' date=' Larryp58 .. I respect your views but could you elaborate on your DISAGREEMENT?

I felt that my best source for actual TRUE info would be the Gibson Custom Shop. Yes, it was indeed quite a task to even talk with a human... but I finally did! I can't help what I was told.

In my opinion, the Kristofferson model was pretty much a normal SJ only with that unique inlay in the 12th fret & some upgraded tuners. Oh yeah, it also had his autograph in silver Sharpie on the pickguard.

I'm not here to offend, I'm here to learn & share. Please teach me something about these models if you know.[/quote']

As we all are, Rasharu!!! Differences:

1. True Vintage: NO electronics, pattern-grade woods, hide glue construction, variation in the "x-bracing" thinner tops.

2. Modern Classic: electronics, aaa-grade woods, standard x-bracing

3. Kristofferson SJ: same as TV line with the exception of electronics and inlay at 12th fret.

Cosmetic differences: 1. madagascar rosewood fretboards/ indian rosewood fretboards

2. tuners

3. bone saddle/TUSQ

***the bottom line is, as said before, buy the guitar that you're comfotable with and sounds the best to you!!! [cool]

As we all are' date=' Rasharu!!! Differences:

1. True Vintage: NO electronics, pattern-grade woods, hide glue construction, variation in the "x-bracing" thinner tops.

2. Modern Classic: electronics, aaa-grade woods, standard x-bracing

3. Kristofferson SJ: same as TV line with the exception of electronics and inlay at 12th fret.

Cosmetic differences: 1. madagascar rosewood fretboards/ indian rosewood fretboards

2. tuners

3. bone saddle/TUSQ

***the bottom line is, as said before, buy the guitar that you're comfotable with and sounds the best to you!!! ;) [/quote']

So are pattern grade woods of better quality than AAA grade woods? On the Gibson website it says the MC/Standard J45 uses pattern grade mahogany and AA sitka.

So are pattern grade woods of better quality than AAA grade woods? On the Gibson website it says the MC/Standard J45 uses pattern grade mahogany and AA sitka.

According to the luthiers at Bozeman, yes!!! These "upgraded" woods and the craftmanship have enabled the folks at Bozeman to produce some of the finest "vintage" acoustic guitars on the market today. And yes, I don't believe anyone can reproduce a guitar that sounds just like a 50 year old J-45 or Southern Jumbo, but Gibson has come mighty close!!! But to say that the True Vintage and VOS line of guitars are the same as the Modern Classics would, IMHO, be a false statement. Not taking anything away from the MC's, they are Gibsons!!! Just the TV's and VOS's are a "notch" above!

Archived