Gibson Brands Forums

Satin Finishes

Silenced Fred

So you want satin black instead?

It would look like primer.

The ES-335 is such a nice guitar, it seems particularly painful to see it in a cheap-*** finish.

That's a classy guitar, it should be treated as such.

If you don't wanna see fingerprints, get the gloss natural.

Gonna cost you some serious money though.

That's really what this is all about - the money, eh?

Come on......

[cool]

Natural is the only other finish I really like on a 335, aside from the traditional on my Cherry Dot Reissue.

3376876397_df477d46ec.jpg

Spend the money Fred!

Get something NICE for yourself, one that you'll keep forever - cause once you play a 335 you'll never sell it.

:-

If I'm gonna save up over 2 grand for a satin, what's another couple hundred? At that price level, I'd wait.

That's all I'm asking, how people feel about them. I have not seen one in person yet, no one near me has one in stock. I'll probably save up for either the Red or Vintage Sunburst.

That is a sweet guitar Neo, I'm jealous

I just like ebony, but hate how every little smudge shows up

Just keep it wiped down.

I can tell you from the experience of owning two Ebony Les Paul Standards that black is a b!tch in nitro.

Satin wouldn't be much better for scratches and smudges.

And the worst part is you'd never have the classy gloss payoff when it was cleaned up and shining.

I know this is gonna sound snobbish or make me seem like I'm overly concerned with the look of my guitar but I'll to ahead and say it anyways.

I don't like satin finishes. The ONLY time I can deal with a satin finish is on the neck only with a gloss body (PRS does this a lot). I also find it more acceptable on acoustics. I don't know why.

It has to be a nice satin finish too. I hate the faded guitars with the big open pores everywhere. People talk about how smooth they feel but I think they feel far more rough than a gloss finish because of the open pores. I need pore/grain filler.

These faded guitars (with a few exceptions) feel really compromised straight from the factory just to save a few bucks.

I love the feel of glossy nitro. It's so smooth and it looks so nice. It's just how I like my guitar to be. Again there are exceptions.

And Neo.. Natural is my favorite 335 finish. You don't see them every day and they're just awesome.

Now it is just deciding red or burst.... :-

Damn....thats really a tough one.

VS looks so classy, rockish and blues, like the Neville Marten video on the 61 ES vid on youtube.

But Cherry, is so traditional and has so much history.

I'm not really keen on satin finishes. I have one Martin acoustic with a satin finish that I've had for 17 years. It's a pretty good sounding guitar, but what happens is that they get shiny areas like where your arm comes into contact with them etc and I think that is worse than a few finger marks on a gloss finish that you can just polish off.

A lot of makers do seem to put satin necks on their guitars, but I much prefer the feel and look of a full gloss neck. Of course the neck does become very shiny with playing, but the back of the headstock remains satin as it doesn't get handled.

A lot of people seem to end up polishing or buffing satin finishes to make them glossy, but they never look as good as a factory gloss finish to me.

Just my opinion.

I grew up with satin finishes on necks.

Just figured that was the way God intended.

Other than a couple fancy Gibson acoustics, I didn't play any gloss necks until my twenties.

Didn't even notice until somebody pointed it out to me.

I'm okay with satin necks on my Fenders, and my Olde Peaveys, but I really, really like gloss.

And to me, the idea of saving a little money on a satin finished guitar is preposterous.

It's not like you're being fiscally responsible - you're buying a guitar that you DO NOT need in any way.

You're indulging yourself with something to make you feel good (like Mrs. Neo's diamonds) so get what you WANT.

Axe in a satin dress...just sayin [biggrin]

I like a satin finish but truthfully...I like something that really shines.....don't care about polishing it, that's easy and the camera loves it :-&

ok I'm tired and have no idea what I'm talking about , I'll go to bed now

I once played an Epi SG with Satin neck. It was by far the smoothest / fastest neck that I ever played. But that only matters if you're going for speed. Otherwise' date=' you just can't beat the nitro-lacquer finish.

Just my 2 cents...[/quote']

Was it the "SG Prophecy"?

Archived