Gibson Brands Forums

What do I need for a Home Studio?

Silenced Fred

I just got the simplest setup a couple of weeks ago:

- Line 6 UX1 USB interface. comes with POD Farm, Ableton Live and Riffsworks.

- Shure SM57 Mic, bought the package with cable and stand for a mere $10 extra.

- Noise insulation for the wondows (see signature pic) that stuff avoids rattle and absorbs the sound.

I have an old Dell 2350 desktop that was already in my Guitar room so I will be using it to record, I do not want to hog the laptop.

Now I am just upgrading RAM memory on the Dell desktop because it has too little and the USB interface requires more, that will be an easy fix, I bought 1GB and it is on its way. That should do it.

I just got the simplest setup a couple of weeks ago:

- Line 6 UX1 USB interface. comes with POD Farm' date=' Ableton Live and Riffsworks.

- Shure SM57 Mic, bought the package with cable and stand for a mere $10 extra.

- Noise insulation for the wondows (see signature pic) that stuff avoids rattle and absorbs the sound.

I have an old Dell 2350 desktop that was already in my Guitar room so I will be using it to record, I do not want to hog the laptop.

Now I am just upgrading RAM memory on the Dell desktop because it has too little and the USB interface requires more, that will be an easy fix, I bought 1GB and it is on its way. That should do it.

[/quote']

That sounds good, I mean, I think I will just mic and get an Apogee to go into the comp, that should run me about 350 total, not too bad for some top o the line stuff

Here is my basic setup, very minimalistic. 12x15 room, you can see it in my signature and here are other pics.

I made a desk in the closet a few years back. It is nice to shut the closet door when I want to.

DSCF0328.jpg

Detail close up, computer, speakers and USB interface. I am not planning on buying monitors, don't need them.

DSCF0325.jpg

Shure SM57 and stand, it is a standard mic stand so it can be used for amps, vocals or acoustic instruments.

DSCF0326.jpg

Paddeed window for insulation, the Mesa foot switch cable is long enough to go all the way under the desk.

DSCF0327.jpg

Simple but that is all I need.

That's sweet man, nice setup. Simple is all you need though. That would probably be very simple to what I would be doing. Need to get some small amps first though, so I can really crank em up.

That's nice, btw- what are those extra switches on the Valve Junior? Bitmo Mods?

Id also recommend you mic up. My friends and I use SM57s and a few other mics. The drummer has his kit micd. We use Cubase 5.

Other than recording stuff, it's good to have guitars, basses, amps, drums, etc. I hate backing tracks.

I like to put a 57 right in front of my amp, with the mic pointing a little on the side of the speaker. Not right in the center.

I also like a big dynamic mic in the room that can be mixed in. The mix is extremely important.

Experiment with what ya got.

Id also recommend you mic up. My friends and I use SM57s and a few other mics. The drummer has his kit micd. We use Cubase 5.

Other than recording stuff' date=' it's good to have guitars, basses, amps, drums, etc. I hate backing tracks.

I like to put a 57 right in front of my amp, with the mic pointing a little on the side of the speaker. Not right in the center.

I also like a big dynamic mic in the room that can be mixed in. The mix is extremely important.

Experiment with what ya got.

[/quote']

Yeah, I am planning on buying a SM57, but what kind of dynamic mics would you recommend?

Hey....i took some pics of my set up today so you can see what one guy has....(click the pics for larger versions)

My Screen and M-Audio Firewire 1814 Audio Interface (and two 500GB external drives in a RAID for my backup disk)

th_InterfaceandScreen.jpg

Here is the Beast that makes it happen (The Mac Pro), my DigiTech RP500 which I use sometimes for direct stuff and one of my best guitar related purchases ever, my footrest? What's that thing called?

th_MacandPedal.jpg

And here's my top shelf...an M-Audio Oxygen 25 Key keyboard and my BX5e studio monitors....

th_TopShelf.jpg

Here's my amp and my Shure SM57 and an M-Audio Nova Condenser Mic....

th_AmpandLP.jpg

That's basically my set up. Its a long shot from a professional one but it works for me. I'm always learning new things and trying different set ups in terms of mic placement etc to see what sounds the coolest. If anyone has any tips, let me know!

EDIT: I should mention i use Pro-Tools M-Powered as my Digital Audio Workstation and I also dabble in Reason 4.0 for other sounds besides my axe.

The room mic we usually use is actually a condenser. It's a MXL 990. It came in a package with a MXL 991 and other recording equipment. We have 3 SM57s and my old drummer has a Shure mic package for drums.

All of this is my old drummers stuff. My guitarist friend has Cubase 5 on his laptop and a much smaller PreSonus box thing. His studio that he rents has a few mics in it.

We really haven't done much REAL recording because we haven't gotten too deep into mixing and everything. That's why I've been backing away from the old drummer. It's going nowhere with him.

That's sweet man' date=' nice setup. Simple is all you need though. That would probably be very simple to what I would be doing. Need to get some small amps first though, so I can really crank em up.

That's nice, btw- what are those extra switches on the Valve Junior? Bitmo Mods?[/quote']

Yea, I kept it simple on purpose. Surprisingly by being able to mic either of my 3 amps I can get a ton of different sounds, my Mesa has a 5watt setting and a ton of options so that is great for recording.

Going 1 track at the time I can get electric guitars, bass, acoustic guitar, harmonica and vocals in the mix all with one single mic. With the POD farm I can resource to record with modeling if I want especially for the bass since I do not have a bass amp.

The only obvious issue is the drums but I do not mind using drums from software, I have a couple of CDs with analog drum recordings that I will be using, it is a bit of a hassle to put a drum track together but at least I have the option.

The Valve Junior has an effects loop, they may look like switches in the pic.

Fred,

did you even read/look at the links? I don't think so.

Stiffhand has an almost identical interface system to mine.

I'd recommend against a condensor at the moment.especially if you're only doing this for sh*ts and giggles and as it looks like you have your heart set on the Apogee,you will not have phantom power.

That was my approach, simplest setup I could get.

I can afford a lot better stuff but I have entirely too much **** as it is.

I had a party last night and a few recording artists (christian music) came, they had been recording all day in a friends bedroom with an M Audio USB interface, a couple of mics and a Vox ToneLab some basic recording software, you'd be surprised how good it sounds.

Fred' date='

did you even read/look at the links? I don't think so.

Stiffhand has an almost identical interface system to mine.

I'd recommend against a condensor at the moment.especially if you're only doing this for sh*ts and giggles and as it looks like you have your heart set on the Apogee,you will not have phantom power.[/quote']

Yes I did. I was just simply asking a question to Dub T. This is just for my knowledge and everything for recording later.

For now, I will just be doing guitar tracks, and stuff like that. I am not set on an Apogee, I have just been looking around and those caught my eye.

Stiffhand, the Mesa Expresses are nice, the only thing that is preventing me from saving up for one of those is the new Transatlantic and the Dual Terror and a Night Train [lol]

The Vox Tonelab is what I will be getting soon/ for my birthday. I will start using that, then get mics and do all that stuff.

Archived