Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop SJ-200 Koa with the Vine Whoa!

BigKahune

?his could be the fiancee of my M-R GIBS...

I'd bet Mr Gibs just wants a little neckin' time!

Beautiful instrument! I would think the koa tone is much like the maple models, but lordy it sure is prettier than maple. The 200 is a large enough body to wear all that bling without looking too gaudy. Very nice appearance.......we can only hope it's construction matches it's beauty.

Sometimes I think Gibsons require bling while it look a bit odd n Martins.

That sure is pretty. I had a koa guitar once, also an all koa mandolin, both were wonderful, probably never should have sold them.

DanvilleRob what tells you it is not a dovetail neck?

I like the guitar, but I wouldn't take it out of the house unless I wore a tuxedo and was picked up by a limo. Beautiful, but not for me.

Ah there's the confusion Buc. I'm with you in the vocabulary used- dovetail is a neck mounting method. That's what prompted my question as I saw no evidence that this J200 was a bolt neck and would be very surprised to find Gibson bolting any necks on. I don't question the engineering, just the choice and Gibson has been sticking with the dovetail all the way.

I always knew that as a "bird's beak" fingerboard' date=' dovetail being how the neck is set into the neck block.

[/quote']

Tell you the truth.. I don't know what the nomenclature is for that "dove tail, duck tail, or whatever" is. I just know I like it....

Archived