Gibson Brands Forums

What strap locks are best to use on an SG?

RRIDER

a socket wrench (and the appropriate sized socket) is something I have with me at every show

Here's a trick I use, but if you stab yourself in the palm of your hand don't blame me!

B) :D/

I put a screwdriver in the U-shaped portion of the lock to hold pressure against the socket to tighten it.

Gives you the extra leverage needed to really compress the strap under the nut.

Still, the strap will yield over time and allow the nut to move.

There are a couple subtle changes I would make to the design if I was the boss, but over 20 years it's worked.

I'll admit' date=' I'm pretty hard on things in general, guitars included. I expect things to hold up well, in some cases to an unreasonable extent. Even though a socket wrench (and the appropriate sized socket) is something I have with me at every show, I just don't always remember to tighten strap locks amidst the 50 other things to check off my "remember to do" list for the gig (probably because I am so incredibly wasted all the time, right?). The washers are a good option for me because they're low maintenance (and honestly, they work just fine).

NCM I dig your guitar cabinets. Very cool way to keep you and the wife happy. I've got a similar situation to deal with, albeit on a considerably smaller scale.[/quote']

GrantFM...I with you on this...spent far too long at the weekend 'messing' with correct screw size etc.....just put the original buttons back on...and the Grolsch rubber thing will do nicely...I used to tour with a pro band 10 years ago..spent 6 years on the road using rubber washers...never had a problem...as they say here in Oz...tooo easy..:)

GrantFM...I with you on this...spent far too long at the weekend 'messing' with correct screw size etc.....just put the original buttons back on...and the Grolsch rubber thing will do nicely...I used to tour with a pro band 10 years ago..spent 6 years on the road using rubber washers...never had a problem...as they say here in Oz...tooo easy..[biggrin]

AFFIRMATION, FINALLY, THANK YOU!

Archived