Gibson Brands Forums

Windows question

Cruznolfart

Suddenly my screen-saver has quit appearing after the 2 minute interval of dead-time, leaving my desktop on the monitor all the time. I've checked my settings, and reset them just to be sure. I've done all my scans and registry and disc checks and passed with flying colors. I keep my eyes wide open all the time! But my slide-show won't show no mo'.

Windows XP. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Did you rename the photo folder the slide show was taking the pictures from? Or move the folder? I guess just make sure the proper folder is selected in the options for the slideshow maybe?

-Brandon

No, it's the whole photoshop file that comprises the slide show. I didn't change anything there but it's worth another look, thanks.

Brandon hit one possibility.

Another is that you inadvertently and without know you did it, turned it off.

Did you check to see what the control sez? (In XP, right click on an open spot on the desktop, go down to "properties," then to "screen saver." Be careful, 'cuz you probably do not want to be password protected after the screensaver comes on in "x" minutes.

Also, regardless of computer or operating system "type," there almost always are "undocumented features" that are neat at times and only a half step up from a "bug" at others. That's what I meant by inadvertently turning off the saver.

OTOH, if you do as I suggested with rechecking that A) it's still turned on, and :- as was mentioned, you ain't moved the graphic, you may have some other problem I can't figure out.

Yet another possibility: when you set it up, you have it named similarly with a Win "standard." That may have gotten changed or messed with.

m

Brandon hit one possibility.

Another is that you inadvertently and without know you did it' date=' turned it off.

Did you check to see what the control sez? (In XP, right click on an open spot on the desktop, go down to "properties," then to "screen saver." Be careful, 'cuz you probably do not want to be password protected after the screensaver comes on in "x" minutes.

Also, regardless of computer or operating system "type," there almost always are "undocumented features" that are neat at times and only a half step up from a "bug" at others. That's what I meant by inadvertently turning off the saver.

OTOH, if you do as I suggested with rechecking that A) it's still turned on, and B) as was mentioned, you ain't moved the graphic, you may have some other problem I can't figure out.

Yet another possibility: when you set it up, you have it named similarly with a Win "standard." That may have gotten changed or messed with.

m

[/quote']

Checked and it's still on. (why do that PUT that password button right there??!!) Source file is unchanged and unmoved. Preview indicates all-go. For now I'm having to turn the monitor off when I'm away from my desk. I'll keep digging around and see if I've done something untechnical. :-

I did this kind of troubleshooting all the time with my grandfather, he was the only one in my family I would do it for. From what I've read you are telling me that absoluetly no screen saver is coming up when you leave it idle for two minutes, and that the monitor stays on, correct? Not going into an automatic stand-by?

1.) Check to see if you've recently installed any programs that negate idling, you can do this by going into Control Panel, then Add remove new programs, and list them there.

2.) If you haven't done anything worth saving recently you could try doing a system restore, which can also be found by going through the control panel.

It kind of sounds like something is preventing it from going into screen saver because It's not going automatically into stand-by, you could try alt-ctrl-delete and viewing the running applications, see if something is a miss.

4.) Finally if all else fails, turn off the damn thing, unplug it for a minute and turn it back on, try it again.

-Brandon

Arty Owl has a good suggestion on seeing if something is preventing it from kicking in by keeping your PC busy. My XP laptop that I use for recording won't go into the SS if the recording software is running. Have you tried a different SS? Something like Starfield and set the timer for 1 minute and see if it kicks in. This will eliminate the slideshow SS itself, and would tend to indicate that you have some activity going on to prevent the SS from kicking in if it won't run, either.

Alternatively, if you can get a list of running processes from Task Manager and post them here (or PM them to me) I'll take a look at what's going on and see if I can help.

Arty Owl has a good suggestion on seeing if something is preventing it from kicking in by keeping your PC busy. My XP laptop that I use for recording won't go into the SS if the recording software is running. Have you tried a different SS? Something like Starfield and set the timer for 1 minute and see if it kicks in. This will eliminate the slideshow SS itself' date=' and would tend to indicate that you have some activity going on to prevent the SS from kicking in if it won't run, either.

Alternatively, if you can get a list of running processes from Task Manager and post them here (or PM them to me) I'll take a look at what's going on and see if I can help.

[/quote']

OK, Arty and Chanman, here's wassup. It won't hook up to My Slide Show. It runs every other ss I put up, at any interval I select. But when I program it to run "my slide show" it just stays on the desktop for EVAH! [cool]

Onliest recent changes have been to download Amazon mp3 downloader, since uninstalled, and update my Norton stuff.

We seem to be back. All the futzing around may have done whatever whatever was needed as it's working now as it did prior to the anomaly. Now it's wait-and-see. Thanks for all the help, compadres. And sorry it's such a dull day that this is exciting for you. LOL!

My screen saver stops working every couple of weeks. I go into settings and make a small change, and it resumes.

2 weeks later... no screen saver.

Vista with all updates - but has done this regardless over the past year.

Here is the thing

Go to Start button setting control panel. When get the control panel double click on the icon display and go to the one radio button that says Screen Savers and see what you have set there.

Here is the thing

Go to Start button setting control panel. When get the control panel double click on the icon display and go to the one radio button that says Screen Savers and see what you have set there.

It's all set precisely as it has been for quite some time. I think I just discovered the culprit. I was watching the SS perk along just fine when it suddenly changed back to the desktop. Then a notice popped up down by my Norton symbol' date=' telling me that Norton 360 is running a background scan. It seems that's a new feature since I renewed my subscription. So, if Norton's background scans are interfering with the SS, what's the next step? [thumbdn

Tell it when to do a scheduled scan and that's that. That way you'll always know when it's doing it's scan and the rest of the time can be left to SS. I should get some kind of cookie for my tech support, not just for you cruznolfart, but for everyone who brings their cell phone/iPhone/blackberry etc to me with issues. Cookies are delicious.

We seem to be back. All the futzing around may have done whatever whatever was needed as it's working now as it did prior to the anomaly. Now it's wait-and-see. Thanks for all the help' date=' compadres. And sorry it's such a dull day that this is exciting for you. LOL![/quote']

Glad you got it fixed, dang computers can drive me crazy!

Remove Norton!!! Seriously...you pc will love you for it...I had it installed on one of my laptops and it make's your pc run like a dog...with no legs..:-k

+1 I consider Norton a virus. ANYTHING that requires you to get another application just to fully uninstall it is a virus.

Just sayin'...

Archived