Gibson Brands Forums

Hang on to your lumber!

larryp58

HAHA...we posted that at the same time!! (Great Minds Think Alike' date=' eh?)[/quote']

The creative wit kicked in. It will be another 47 hours and 58 minutes until I come up with anything lucid again.

I love O's but the O forum is just not nice.

My recommendation is to "hang on to your lumber". They're like gold' date=' and will only go up in price.[/quote']

That's one theory. An alternative theory is that, in the next few years, a lot of guitar players will make the transition from "peak earning years" to "living on a fixed income" and the market will be flooded with fine guitars. Prices will drop like a rock, because a relatively small percentage of people who will be entering their peak earning years care about guitars. Supply will continue to far exceed demand until either guitars make a big comeback -- and there's no guarantee that they ever will -- or so many flattops implode that there's a shortage despite very limited demand. According to this scenario, people who buy guitars now and hang onto them for awhile will be lucky to get 10 cents on the dollar for them when the time comes to sell. Maybe the guitars that survive will be worth a lot in a century or two, but that's not likely to help anyone reading this much.

I'm not saying this is any better than your theory that prices will keep going up. However, I wouldn't be much surprised by either steeply rising or steeply falling prices. So I buy guitars to play rather than viewing them as investments.

-- Bob R

"...I agree to a point ! But you dont see crap guitar companys using Braz. Rosewood do you ? You see mostly High Grade Luthiers who make great guitars use it . Why ? Because high grade woods are used make great guitars period !

Mahogany is better than plywood to make a guitars back and sides> Great guitars have solid spruce toops not Douglas Fir tops do you think its just to stroke Egos ? Or to produce better sound . Cmon lets get real here. :-({|=

Crap guitar makers can't get high prices for their guitars even if they made them out of Braz so they don't bother with it and build to price and profit. I wouldn't buy a Braz rosewood Samick over a Braz Martin. it would have no value in comparison.

If it ever dawns on enough people that premium Sitka Spruce is best used as tonewood not toilet paper then we will always have a supply for the luthier biz. That ain't now however and too much high value wood is used for the wrong purposes leaving little left for those who require it. That is to say nobody needs a mahogany deck on their house, and we don't really need puffy comfort toilet paper that can only be made from virgin wood.

An alternative theory is that' date=' in the next few years, a lot of guitar players will make the transition from "peak earning years" to "living on a fixed income" and the market will be flooded with fine guitars. Prices will drop like a rock, because a relatively small percentage of people who will be entering their peak earning years care about guitars. [/quote']

Man, as someone entering his peak earning years, I sure hope so.

I actually think there's something to this theory. I mean, we've had a huge population of "Boomers" who have been earning nicely, perhaps even living beyond their means with the decades-long increase in housing prices and subsequent bubble. A lot of folks just had some serious disposable income and they both a lot of "toys." And the fact is, those folks aren't gonna need their toys much longer.

We shall see...

Man' date=' as someone entering his peak earning years, I sure hope so.

I actually think there's something to this theory. I mean, we've had a huge population of "Boomers" who have been earning nicely, perhaps even living beyond their means with the decades-long increase in housing prices and subsequent bubble. A lot of folks just had some serious disposable income and they both a lot of "toys." And the fact is, those folks aren't gonna need their toys much longer.

We shall see...[/quote']

As a "Boomer", I hope the prices DO go down...then I'll scoop up which ones I care to own. I ain't gonna sell 'em anyway, so what do I care if they go up or down?

And if my grandkids sell them to buy better drugs, I won't care 'cause I'll be worm-food.

I live in Brazil and I have to say that the BRAZILIAN rosewood here is very difficult to find...it happens because there isn't a plantation of rosewood directed to provide wood for the industry of any area. All the rosewood comes from nature...amazon to be more especific...and UNFORTUNATELY it's not being preserved as it really should be...Its true...guitars with maple, rosewood, cocobolo etc will be treasures...and i'm really afraid. Have u tried to find brand new custom shop gibson guitars...it's getting more and more difficult to find dealers with these beauties in stock...

Archived