Gibson Brands Forums

Cleartone Strings.........

onewilyfool

I know a lot of your got Cleartones on your guitars, and were mailed free sets by the rep, but do you like them????? Every time I try to use them, I just HATE THEM FOR ABOUT A MONTH TIL THEY BREAK IN. They are REALLY jangly to my ear, and I prefer Elixir nanos to those. I find the nanos last longer too. Does anyone know if ALL the strings are coated (including the steel bare strings) or just the wound strings? Just want to see what you all think....

I know a lot of your got Cleartones on your guitars' date=' and were mailed free sets by the rep, but do you like them????? Every time I try to use them, I just HATE THEM FOR ABOUT A MONTH TIL THEY BREAK IN.[/quote']

Well I generally don't like coated strings, but when the rep offered I did contact him and request samples. Never heard anything, so I've never tried them.

As for A MONTH to break in . . . I rarely have a set of strings on any guitar for that long!!! I usually change strings for every gig or every other gig depending on how many songs I use that guitar for. I do make them last longer if I'm not gigging or recording though.

I know a lot of your got Cleartones on your guitars' date=' and were mailed free sets by the rep, but do you like them????? Every time I try to use them, I just HATE THEM FOR ABOUT A MONTH TIL THEY BREAK IN. They are REALLY jangly to my ear, and I prefer Elixir nanos to those. I find the nanos last longer too. Does anyone know if ALL the strings are coated (including the steel bare strings) or just the wound strings? Just want to see what you all think....[/quote']

Just put some Cleartones ($17) on my Ovation - To me, they sound just about like any new strings, but the sales guy said the difference is that they last longer and sound better longer - thus not needing to change strings as often.. We'll see....

Ovation_AcousJr_P1050277PB.jpg

I was never contacted, therefore I never got a free set that I MIGHT HAVE REALLY LIKED, in which case would have spent many thousands of dollars with the company in the future.

But, alas, I was never contacted.....

[biggrin]

Using the free Cleartones about a month and a half.

On my J45:

Well, they sound alright. They feel pretty good, no overt squeaking when you slide up and down the neck. They are comfortable to play. I would describe the sound as "balanced" , not too too bright with an average bit of warmth on the low side. Personally I would want my guitar to have a warmer sound than these produce.

But overall, the sounds from these strings are nothing out of the ordinary, they are just basic (middle of the road) strings, that supposedly last a lot longer than normal strings.

Would I buy them? These are expensive strings, So I would have to say No. Nothing jumps out at me and says "These are extraordinary and I must have this sound". I am interested on their longevity so I will post a follow up after a few months of playing them. I guess if they do hold up sound-wise considerably longer than normal strings, it could be a big plus to many to consider these strings.

-Bottom line you just have to try a set and decide if it's right for your guitar and your playing style. Like I said, they are comfortable to play and very limited squeaking.

It was great that Cleartone sent me a total of six sets for free with no strings attached, which says alot about their company ethic. But I just cannot find myself overly in love with these strings (for the hefty price) to make them a permanent part of my instruments. But again to be fair I will provide some final remarks after a few months of playing them.

On my Strat: The electric strings they sent me.

So far. I would say Nope!

They are very comfortable to play and make for a fast neck; the fret slide squeaking is near absent.

They do not sound better than my current strings. They do not sound like stainless steel bullets and that is the sound that is best, on my Strat (that have a pair of JB's and a pair of HotRail pickups).

I have always liked the sound of Fender Stainless Bullets and the Fenders last me a long long long time, when I don't snap'em in half.

Money as well is a factor, $14.99 for Cleartones, $5.49 for Fender Bullets.

So my uneducated and nonexpert human grade;

Cleartone Acoustics

Sound: B-

Playabilty: A

Price: D-

Cleartone Electrics

Sound: C

Playability: A

Price: F (no electric Strings should ever cost that much)

Tried 'em on a "push" by the store 60 some miles away. Don't care for 'em at all, and for the "feel" more than the sound which also wasn't what I hoped for. I do use Elixirs on most of my guitars. The Elixirs seem almost to add a bit more depth, especially on the acoustic but also on the electrics, which I kinda like 'cuz I prefer lighter strings to play but a sound that's a bit heavier.

m

The way I understand it, Elixir's coating goes on last, whereas the D'Addario coating wraps the string that wraps the core.

How are the Cleartones (that I never got a free set of) built?

[biggrin]

The way I understand it' date=' Elixir's coating goes on last, whereas the D'Addario coating wraps the string that wraps the core.

How are the Cleartones (that I never got a free set of) built?

[biggrin

I don't know how they're coated, but I would say they come closer to D'Addario's than to Elixir's.

I like the feel of Elixir's the best, but have a tendency, to buy D'Addario's, just because they're cheaper.

But I believe, D'Addario's are just as good as Cleartones, for 1/2 the price!

Ahhh the old "strings" thread! I started trying every string under the sun' date=' including Cleartone, but I always end up going back to Elixer Light Nanos. I'll never stray again![blink']

Larry, those are my current favorites myself.....ut even those don't sound good on some of my guitars....so the quest continues........lol

Archived