Gibson Brands Forums

Single or humbucker?

Silenced Fred

Looking at doing a Strat build, or possible renovation of mine. When I do, should I go with a single coil or a humbucker in the bridge. One thing I have noticed about humbuckers in the bridge, is that there is usually a large boost in volume when switched. Is there a pickup where it wouldn't have as much of a huge boost?

So, single or humbucker. Please let me know.

Looking at doing a Strat build' date=' or possible renovation of mine. When I do, should I go with a single coil or a humbucker in the bridge. One thing I have noticed about humbuckers in the bridge, is that there is usually a large boost in volume when switched. Is there a pickup where it wouldn't have as much of a huge boost?

So, single or humbucker. Please let me know.

[/quote']

Is this the strat that only has one routing for a pickup?

Are you adding others?

If you were, you could add, for a P-90 and a humbucker, so you could have a single, a p-90 and a humbucker.

uniqueness....oh yea....

If you are leaving it as one...then what does it matter if there is a boost? there is only one pickup!

If I am wrong about the strat, then you can always get a lower output humbucker...that should solve the problem...

post a pic of the strat

Looking at doing a Strat build' date=' or possible renovation of mine.

[/quote']

When you say build...do you mean an actual from the planks up build or an assembly, buying a readymade body and a ready made neck?

When you say build...do you mean an actual from the planks up build or an assembly' date=' buying a readymade body and a ready made neck?[/quote']

Here is what I am thinking:

Save the neck I have, use that.

Buy a body, or route out the current body. Put in 2 singles in neck and middle, and a humbucker in the bridge.

Here is what I am thinking:

Save the neck I have' date=' use that.

Buy a body, or route out the current body. Put in 2 singles in neck and middle, and a humbucker in the bridge.[/quote']

hmm....

You could put a similar one to what Fender uses in their SSH guitars....

Put a PAF Replica

Let us know

hmm....

You could put a similar one to what Fender uses in their SSH guitars....

Put a PAF Replica

Let us know

I was thinking maybe the SD Jazz pickup' date=' a little more mellow humbucker...

Right now, I don't have the cash for it, but I figure I can buy a body for about 150, cheaper if I shop around. I already have a neck, then I can really spring for hardware and pups [blink

Try an Ebay buyer by the name of The Stratosphere.

I got all kinds of stuff from them when I built my two Strats back in 2006-2007.

I will have to check that out. See' date=' I'm not sure if I want to make my Strat into a 'Strat' if you know what I mean. The full complement of three single coils (or two singles and a humbucker) or make it with two humbuckers (well at least one of them would be a p90.... [blink )

Thanks for the recommendation though

I will suggest it again:

Seymour Duncan P-Rails in the bridge position.

You get P90, single coil & humbucking sound. After all, owning a HSS Strat, is all about versatility.

As for the increasing in volume you mention, it's completely natural. 2 coils of a humbucker have more power than a single coil, they push your amp harder. Although P90s are said to be louder than Fender-ish single coils as well.

I will suggest it again:

You get P90' date=' single coil & humbucking sound. After all, owning a HSS Strat, is all about versatility.

As for the increasing in volume you mention, it's completely natural. 2 coils of a humbucker have more power than a single coil, they push your amp harder. Although P90s are said to be louder than Fender-ish single coils as well. [/quote']

I don't know about the P-Rails. I think I might go with an HSS.

I understand what you mean about humbuckers pushing the amp harder.

I will suggest it again:

You get P90' date=' single coil & humbucking sound.[/quote']

If you don't know about the P-rails all I can say is that it will be worth your time to investigate them. As Hector said you get all 3 sounds from a single pup so what is there to not like? it won't take long to get on Seymour Duncan's web site and learn about this pup and then there is also a video out there showing the 3 modes.

Try an Ebay buyer by the name of The Stratosphere.

Sorry to burst the/your bubble but those blokes are renowned rip-off artists.Jacked up prices...

Sure' date='they have [i']good stock[/i],yet if you care to shop around around,you can do better.

Archived