Gibson Brands Forums

Neck problem with my LP Studio

Skylion

Hi,

I bought my LP Studio 2 months ago and even though I love playing on it, the problem is the G string rubbing against the frets. It has been repaired 2 times, but the problem reappears. Now the guitar will be sent back to Gibson Customer Service. It seems the wood in the neck bends. I hope Gibson will finally repair it for me or give me a new guitar without problems. Did any of you have experienced this kind of problem? Do you have good experiences with the Customer Service?

Thanks!

Tom

Skylion, I've never experienced that problem myself, but you should make sure Gibson repairs it correctly this time. It could be a problem with the truss rod, but that's quite rare. Have you done any adjustments on the guitar yourself; bridge, nut, truss? Do you keep the guitar in it's case when you aren't playing?. Keep the guitar away from extreme heat and cold.

There was a guy on here from Greece a while back that had the same

problem and like Rockstar said he had a twisted or he called it a soft

wood I believe. Did the same thing yours does. Gibson had to send

him a new guitar it couldn't be fixed.

CW

Thanks for the replies!

I didn't do any adjustments myself. The guitar is already on its way to Gibson, so I can't take pictures. But everything on it looks normal. The guy in the shop, who sold me the guitar explained me that the Gibson repair service in Europe is very difficult, takes a long time (4 to 5 weeks) and often doesn't repair it correctly. So I feel quite disappointed, but hope everything works out in the end. At least I still have my acoustic guitar to practise on. Otherwise I really liked the sound and playing characteristics of the LP Studio.

Greetz,

Tom

+1 on that even an uneven fret would effect more than just the G string. Who has done the repairs before. It sounds like you need a new tech., if he hasn't fixed the problem the last 2 times. If the neck was warped or twisted the effect would be more than 1 string also.

I've had Gibson repair my guitars (both under warranty ) and they are fine now . As far as i'm concerned, Gibson did the right thing in both cases and without any hassle. Yes, it took a while to get my axes back, but it was worth the wait. Good luck.

Sounds like a trussie problem to me. Take it in and have the truss rod adjusted.

Nah the truss rod will change how all the strings relate to the fret board. If this is a one string problem you do not

need to whack out all the other strings.

it sounds like to me the nut slot on the g-string has been cut to deep or the saddle....simple fix for most guitar techs.....anyhow, check out my video on how to solve the problem on youtube, its a 4 part series, so watch it all, i give my les paul a full setup inc.fret dress,saddle,nut etc etc...it will help you with whats going on if nothing else........ not sure if your aloud to post links here so just search "moesbarr" on youtube and ull find me.......jay

Thanks again for the replies!

You are right that it is strange that only the G string is affected. This was in the beginning. Last week the B string had a little buzz as well. The technician was a professional who is connected to the retail shop. He said it would cost about 250 euro to fix the neck. But he couldn't garantee it would help. I hope Gibson will be able to fix it and if not, they will give me a new guitar. Thanks as well for the video. I will take a look at it.

Enjoy playing!!!

Tom

If the dealer's tech is Gibson authorized you won't have a problem. But if he's not then you are in for a long haul. I still can't believe if a tech is a professional that he wouldn't be able to diagnose the problem the first time. This is a very common problem on any guitar with the G string buzz, and any tech worth his merit will know that. Sounds to me like he's just trying different things and not really competent. Doesn't matter what the Guitar store you bought it from says. But if they send it back to Gibson it'll be done right. Good luck and keep us posted.

Archived