Gibson Brands Forums

New LP Owner (setup questions)

mesaboogiemonster

First of all

Hello!

I am new to the world of gibson. about a week ago i walked into long and mcquade and picked up my 2007 gibson les paul classic custom. the serial number reads that it was built on the 352nd day of 2007, batch 0, 318th guitar of production. my girlfriend and i both knew by looking at it that it was the one. it looks incredible next to my 92 srv strat (with rosewood! RARE)

When i walked into my bands last jam with this thing, everyone was scared of it. the guitar had its own seat,and the singer wanted to know if the guitar liked his tye. It didn't. so now he has to buy a new tye.

last night i spent 4 hours experimenting with my les pauls setup. my girlfriend said she hated les paul. thankfully the guitar didn't hear.

when i first picked it up, went in the room, played it, there was a crowd around the gibson section trying them out. when i walked out the crowd was gone, i was getting dirty looks, so i put the money down!

there is nothing more bad *** than owning a les paul. this guitar is becoming an obsession for me. i swear this thing is alive and has a soul, it even eats dinner with me.

in closing id like to ask, is a bigsby worth it? i know of three kinds, b7 b70 b12 that would fit this. what would best suit this guitar? major concerns - intonation, string height, staying in tune, and plugging the tailpiece holes

and what string brands do you guys use?

Welcome to the forum. It's a great group here.

My 2 cents would be to wait just a little before you decide to make any modafications. Especially a Bigsby. You already have the SRV Strat with a whammy bar. I'm not saying don't install a Bigsby. I would just wait a month or so at least to break in your LP and then decide.

The Classic Custom is on my list of things to do this year .

But the Bigby .. Why ? do you play alot of stuff with that warbly sound ?

The don't suit my style of playing at all . AT ALL ...

Just practice a vibrato with your fret hand and save the dough for ,,, mmm ...Cookies !

Archived