Gibson Brands Forums

What makes a good guitarist?

Silenced Fred

To make a broad statement: I don't think my parents think I will give this up. I love it too much.

I am looking for an amp I can practice with/ gig with. Right now, all I have is the 50 watt Sunn in my avatar. Thing is loud as fvck.

I'm no hack, but I'm not Buckethead either (apparently). My parents asked me that, and I can play songs, have been writing some of my own stuff, but I didn't know if there was really a way to define whether someone was good or not. I mean, as someone wrote, I would consider myself beginner-intermediate, more towards intermediate.

The Dual Terror is a lot of money, but they asked what I want for my birthday. I am hoping to at least get some funds towards it, or as some people have pointed out, 7 watts is loud as fvck! To that I say, don't tell them that :-$[lol] and I know, but if I turn the master volume down, I can still get gain sounds and everything out of it at semi reasonable volumes. My other thought is to hope for an AC4 head for practice. But the 50 watt Sunn is so loud, but has great tone.

Kind of changing topic here: Would you sell the Sunn to help fund a Dual Terror? The Sunn is crazy loud, Playing in a high school gym I can't turn it up past 4. And that's pushing it...

Not trying to hijack your thread but what happened to the other amp you wanted to buy yourself? That is probably why they are hesitant to help. There's always something else you're going to want. You see where I'm coming from?

To me, what makes someone good at anything is discipline and dedication. Pure and simple. It's not enough to want to be good at something.

My parents said if I wanted the guitar and amp get a job and I did. Got the

amp and guitar I wanted. 1957 LP Jr and the JTM. Boy I made a lot of Taco's

CW

This is what I'd tell my kids. If you want it you should invest in it yourself and then no one can take it from you.

Your rents will see the commitment and possibly help with other purchases later, but if you get this one thing yourself, or show them that you've gotten over half the bill together, I think whatever the desired item may be, they'd be more willing to assist.

Archived