Gibson Brands Forums

Removing Sticky Stuff From Guitar

lockjawdavis

A friend gave me an old, beat up Epiphone. I cleaned her up pretty nicely, but there is some very stubborn residue from where my buddy used to tape his set lists/cheat sheets along the top. Any suggestions on what may take this crusty stuff off without ruining the guitar? I've tried Goof Off and elbow grease, but no luck yet.

Naptha is good. After use the finish can appear a little dull and so needs polishing.

A very good luthier I know uses T cut believe it or not. But there are different types of T cut (it's a car cleaning product in the UK, don't know if you have it) and you need to be careful to get the right one.

There is a good book with information about cleaning guitars. I'll look it out, but it's bed time here in the UK now!!

Naptha is good. After use the finish can appear a little dull and so needs polishing.

A very good luthier I know uses T cut believe it or not. But there are different types of T cut (it's a car cleaning product in the UK' date=' don't know if you have it) and you need to be careful to get the right one.

There is a good book with information about cleaning guitars. I'll look it out, but it's bed time here in the UK now!![/quote']

T-Cut.................Blimey! Brave man but I suppose in skilled hands it should be fine. It's an abrasive car cleaning polish, great for removing surface scratches.

How about lighter fluid from one's Gibson Zippo?

Or just warm soapy water and a damp cloth?

T-Cut.................Blimey! Brave man but I suppose in skilled hands it should be fine. It's an abrasive car cleaning polish' date=' great for removing surface scratches.

[b']How about lighter fluid from one's Gibson Zippo[/b]?

Or just warm soapy water and a damp cloth?

Lighter fluid from ones Zippo is perfect..... it is in fact, just plain old "Naptha". I tend to buy mine in a bottle of Rossignol Lighter Fluid that you can pick up at any gas station. A small bottle will last a very long time unless you are like me and your kids discover it also takes sticky hockey tape residue off of their sticks! [biggrin] Now I have to buy a bottle almost every year!

T-Cut.................Blimey! Brave man but I suppose in skilled hands it should be fine. It's an abrasive car cleaning polish' date=' great for removing surface scratches.

[/quote']

Yes . . . that's what I thought, but my luthier is very experienced and I trust her. There are different versions of T cut and I think she uses the one in the white bottle. The white bottle has a red label, and there is also one in a red bottle and that is NOT the one to use, so it's a bit confusing! I've never had to resort to it myself. I will find out for certain the next time I go to the luthier and report back if anyone wants to know. Apparently it is very good for removing surface scratches on guitars as well as cars.

I would look for " goo gone "

I swear by it

I buy golf clubs ' date=' and they put the stickers on the graphite shafts, and it is a mess getting that cleaned off, until I found goo gone.......[/quote']

Goo Gone is just naptha with a 100% markup.

Lighter fluid from ones Zippo is perfect..... it is in fact' date=' just plain old "Naptha". [/quote']

Not all lighter fluid is naphtha nowadays, so be sure to check the label before buying.

-- Bob R

Not all lighter fluid is naphtha nowadays' date=' so be sure to check the label before buying.

-- Bob R

[/quote']

Wick lighter fuel is usually naptha but Ronsonol brand lighter fuel IS naptha. It even says "Excellent for removing labels, tar, grease and oil stains" on the label.

Of course, other styles of lighters do not use naptha, like butane lighters etc. And Goo Gone IS naptha just a lot more expense.

I always keep a couple bottles of Ronsonol on hand. It is great at removing the residue from those double-sided foam square adhesive pads that anchor devices to your car dash and things like that.

Back when I used to carry Zippos (I've got 30 or 40 old lighters tucked away) I did notice a difference between Ronson lighter fluid and Zippo fluid. The Ronson had more odor and didn't seem to burn as hot... or maybe the flame was weaker would be a better way to put it. Zippo fluid seemed to have less odor and burned a little more intensely. If you've ever had a kerosene space heater and have used both #2 and #1 kerosene, it's like that. Probably doesn't mean a blessed thing as it applies to removing residue but if odor is a concern it might be worth going with Zippo.

Dude, in 1974 I had plaid waterfalls in my bedroom, saw the people from WUZ, saw Kim & Jim flying around the room riding a 'Discover America' arrow (weathervane?) with flashing lights and saw Lucky Charms boxes flying at me with drumrolls.

It's all in the technique and lighting.

And you guys wonder why I'm weird.

2008-02-23-Mackie.jpg

Tip--you can by Naptha by the quart at your local hardware store/Home Depot, etc. much cheaper than the brand name stuff. It's usually in the same section with the paint thinners, acetone, etc. If you've got the brand name plastic squirt bottles, you can pry the tops off and refill them. That way you can keep one bottle in your music room and have a supply in the garage as well. It works great for cleaning strings mid-gig when they start to feel grungy. I've used it on guitars for years with no problem. Good stuff.

Dwight

Back when I used to carry Zippos (I've got 30 or 40 old lighters tucked away) I did notice a difference between Ronson lighter fluid and Zippo fluid. The Ronson had more odor and didn't seem to burn as hot... or maybe the flame was weaker would be a better way to put it. Zippo fluid seemed to have less odor and burned a little more intensely. If you've ever had a kerosene space heater and have used both #2 and #1 kerosene' date=' it's like that. Probably doesn't mean a blessed thing as it applies to removing residue but if odor is a concern it might be worth going with Zippo.

[/quote']

My dad has a small collection of Zippos, mainly from US ships when he was serving in Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong, in the Royal Navy during the 70s. I must get him to dig them out one day.

I used to have a nice brass one. Overfilling it and keeping it in my jeans pocket one day caused a nasty rash for a day or so around the tackle area. Not recommended.

I also recall filling it with petrol from the lawnmower can one day. Not recommended either.

Yep, the thigh burn is always fun. I tried to get into the habit of filling it the night before and letting it dissipate/volatize overnight.

I've got one 1959 Zippo with a copper RCA emblem on it, must have been something given to employees. I've got one Vietnam lighter too, with an engraved bunny on one side and a pyschedelic peace-love logo on the other with "VIET NAM 1970" above it. I think the GIs would buy them at the PX and then have a local engrave them.

God knows what else I have in that box. I used to have them out on display but needed that wall space for something. I've got a couple of those freakishly large comic lighters, about 6 or 7 inches tall, take about a quart of fluid to get them started. Advertising lighters made in Japan in the late 50s with L&M. Newport, and Oasis cigarette logos, some local advertising ones, and even one with "The Dodge Boys" from about 1968.

I have so much crap around here.....

Yep' date=' the thigh burn is always fun. I tried to get into the habit of filling it the night before and letting it dissipate/volatize overnight.

I've got one 1959 Zippo with a copper RCA emblem on it, must have been something given to employees. I've got one Vietnam lighter too, with an engraved bunny on one side and a pyschedelic peace-love logo on the other with "VIET NAM 1970" above it. I think the GIs would buy them at the PX and then have a local engrave them.

God knows what else I have in that box. I used to have them out on display but needed that wall space for something. I've got a couple of those freakishly large comic lighters, about 6 or 7 inches tall, take about a quart of fluid to get them started. Advertising lighters made in Japan in the late 50s with L&M. Newport, and Oasis cigarette logos, some local advertising ones, and even one with "The Dodge Boys" from about 1968.

I have so much crap around here.....[/quote']

My uncle, out of desperation once, filled his Zippo with diesel fuel. While it worked, he said it made the cigarettes taste like a Diamond Reo with a blown turbo. Some that he sported had a clear body with fish and such, and possibly a mermaid inside. I thought they were so cool. The coolness of the lighters never got me to smoke though. My daddy says he's still too young to start, so I guess that means I am too.

Archived