Gibson Brands Forums

Im starting to think dimebag is overrated....

dem00n

The guy was an amazing guitar player. When I listen to Vulgar Display of Power I hear a guy carrying most of the weight by writing & playing sick *** riffs and solos. The fluidity of some of his leads is breath taking. I'm Broken comes to mind.

Overrated? I don't think so.

Influential? Not that much. Maybe he helped usher in the era of mid scooped guitars that hog all frequencies in the mix. That's a bad thing, but I can over look his not so great sound since his playing is so epic.

Jim Morrison, for example...? Nice music, nice guy, but... If it wasn't for Manzarek... (just an example here).

Robert Plant was the rock star in the room untill Jimmy Page came in...

David Lee Roth " " " Eddie Van Halen came in...

There has always been a pecking order in most bands.

Really, that's all that makes a great guitarist. Being a Breakthrough Artist is more of a timing thing, luck of the draw. Stevie Ray is one of my favorites forever, but he wasn't Breakthrough, he did Keep Blues Alive during a very Bleak time for the genre. He gave Lonnie Mack and Buddy Guy a deserved and needed boost during those years (Buddy Guy didn't even have a record deal in the 80's, 'till Stevie got him one). It could be said that Dime kept metal alive during the Grung Attack of the 90's, but none of that is as important as how the artist influences the next generations of Guitarists.

I also don't think that it's just about dieing young, That may bring about the summation of their work, but if they weren't legendary they would have been forgotten. Plenty of guys die, but we only remember a few.

Overrated?.........That's really a subjective question.

Subjective indeed.

All I know is that I never liked his tone.

Not just him, but that shrill, thin hallmark of the whole genre just turned me off.

I've seen bar bands cover their songs using very basic tube amps and humbucker'd guitars with good effect.

The tone was more to my liking, and the songs were done justice - good enough for the crowd to love 'em.

Think of Dime using Slash's stage rig - or even Zakk Wylde's with the EMGs thru Marshall 800s.

I know the hardcore fans will say I'm full o' sh!t but that's MY subjective take on 'em.

Pantera's music covered a vast range of music. I still have all of their Stuff on Vinyl. Dime was a great gutarist and I really don't think he was overrated. Dime was just a very gifted musician.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vf9ru3ecBc&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU0V-P7GIlY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Interesting post with some good comments. Dimebag was a very good maybe great guitar player as well as a interesting person he left a legacy of fans to the genre which probably wouldn't have been fans without him. Morrison was a poet more than a musician, he spoke and a whole generation felt his words. Jimmy Hendrix and Buddy Holly would have been interesting to see where they would have gone. Duane Allman was a huge loss to all music and especially the guitar world he was unique and just starting to bring a sound and musical genre to the world, nobody has that tone after years of trying. Jeff Healy who knows? Truly one of the masters maybe God wanted some blues. So many die to soon and for a small few like Cobain the timing was about right after all who wouldn't shoot themselves married to Courtney...

Yep.

That's why I posted this;

All I know is that I never liked his tone.

Not just him' date=' but that shrill, thin hallmark of the whole genre just turned me off.

I've seen bar bands cover their songs using very basic tube amps and humbucker'd guitars with good effect.

The tone was more to my liking, and the songs were done justice - good enough for the crowd to love 'em.

Think of Dime using Slash's stage rig - or even Zakk Wylde's with the EMGs thru Marshall 800s.

I know the hardcore fans will say I'm full o' sh!t but that's MY subjective take on 'em.

[/quote']

When Pantera first came out I really liked them' date=' there was something very different about their brand of metal.

However, even at the time, I thought they were the First Metal Band that had a comfortable landing spot thanks to the bands that came before them. Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, Suicidal Tendencies, Slayer, Supultura, and the like built the fan base (the Tarmac, if you will) for them to sell to.

And metal was already Mainstream thanks to Metalica and Anthrax, especially that business with Public Enemy. Pantera may have helped Cement that brick in place, maybe, but they were too late for the big Breakthrough.[/quote']

Thanks for saving me the time of typing this myself.

I may add that Pantera (to me) was a bit of a generational thing like an in between generations metal band.

I have always noticed that guys that are 5 to 10 years younger than me (I am 41) were more into Pantera than me and my friends, to me their timing was anti-climatic.

Dimebag was a hell of a player and just like the other great musicians that died young his snapshot in time image will last forever and therefore we will see a lot of re-hashing.

Archived